PHOENIX, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona University Women's Tennis team advances to the Big Sky Conference Championships after sweeping No. 4 Idaho State 4-0 in the semifinals. Director of Tennis Ki Kroll and the Lumberjacks remain undefeated in conference and will continue postseason play in the final Saturday, April 29.
"I am extremely proud of the way the women played today," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll said. "We are excited to be back in the finals again this year."
Northern Arizona did what they have been doing all year — dominate. The Lumberjacks won doubles 6-3, 6-2 with wins from Hanneke Lodewijks and Brandy Walker and Marta Lewandowska and Hailey Rochin. Lodewijks and Walker started off for the 'Jacks with a very good 6-3 performance over ISU's Megan Poe and Hristina Cvetkovic before Lewandowska and Rochin clinched the doubles point. The senior duo clinched 6-2 over the Bengals' Madison Fenske and Melissa Coburn. The Lumberjacks continued their momentum into singles, again dominating on every court.
The Bengals could not respond to the Lumberjack's pressure, going down in the first set on every court but one. NAU senior Rochin started off in the win column, winning at the No. 6 position 6-1, 6-1 over Angela Walker. Lodewijks won next 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 1 position over Hristina Cvetkovic. With the score 3-0, the Lumberjacks were looking for a strong finish, leading on three of the four remaining courts. Lewandowska took the clinch for the blue and gold beating Megan Poe 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 5 position.
Northern Arizona swept the match over Idaho State 4-0 after beating them earlier in the season 4-3 at home. The Lumberjacks remain undefeated going into the conference championship match increasing their win total to 18.
"We have been working all season to get to this point and we are ready for tomorrow," said Kroll.
Today's win means that Northern Arizona will be in the finals for the second straight year. The Lumberjacks will be facing the Idaho Vandals Saturday, April 29 in what will be a rematch final for the two teams. Idaho beat Northern Arizona 4-0 in the final in 2016 season. The championship match will be held at the Phoenix Tennis Center at 2 p.m.
- Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) vs. Huibre-Mare Botes/Louise-Mare Botes (ISU) 4-3 unfinished
- Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Hristina Cvetkovic/Megan Poe (ISU) 6-3
- Hailey Rochin/Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Melissa Coburn/Madison Fenske (ISU) 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 2
- Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Hristina Cvetkovic (ISU) 6-2, 6-1
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) vs. Huibre-Mare Botes (ISU) 6-0, 5-2 unfinished
- Blanka Szavay (NAU) vs. Louise-Mare Botes (ISU) 6-4, 1-1 unfinished
- Brandy Walker (NAU) vs. Melissa Coburn (ISU) 6-7, 0-1 unfinished
- Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Megan Poe (ISU) 6-4, 6-1
- Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Angela Walker (ISU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 1, 5