PHOENIX, Ariz. — The No. 1 Northern Arizona Women's Tennis squad arrived on the courts this afternoon for a day of practice and preparation for Friday's semifinals. The Lumberjacks did not compete today as a result of the first-round bye. Throughout the day, Director of Tennis Ki Kroll and the Lumberjacks waited to see who would advance to the semifinals.
The quarterfinal matches took place between No. 3 Montana State vs. No. 6 North Dakota and No. 4 Idaho State vs. No. 5 Northern Colorado. The Montana State Bobcats advanced to the semifinals to compete against the Idaho Vandals, while the Idaho State Bengals will compete against the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks.
"The women are extremely excited to be back this year and are ready to compete tomorrow," Kroll said. "We will give our best effort against a strong opponent."
The last time the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks faced the Bengals they won 4-3. With wins from Chiara Tomasetti, Marta Lewandowska and Hailey Rochin. Idaho State beat Northern Colorado this afternoon in what was a fight to the finish. The two teams went back and forth until it was up to court two to finish it off with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 win by ISU.
The match between the No. 1 Northern Arizona Lumberjacks and the No. 4 Idaho State teams is set for Friday, April 28 at 1 p.m. and will be held at the Phoenix Tennis Center.
- Blanka Szavay and Chiara Tomasetti were ranked as high as No. 63 in the country in doubles action in the April 4 ITA Rankings
- Freshman Tomasetti was No. 18 in the ITA Mountain Region in the January 4 Rankings
- Northern Arizona has had two Big Sky Players of the Week in Tomasetti and Szavay
- Tomasetti led the Lumberjacks in singles wins with 18 overall and 10 in conference
- Tomasetti and Szavay, in doubles, led the 'Jacks with 15 overall wins
- All of NAU's doubles pairs, Hanneke Lodewijks and Brandy Walker, Marta Lewandowska and Hailey Rochin and Tomasetti and Szavay went 9-1 in the Big Sky
- On April 9, the Lumberjacks defeated the defending Big Sky Champions University of Idaho, after losing to them in the championship match last season.
Follow the Action
Live Twitter results: @NAUWomensTennis
Match recaps: www.nauathletics.com
Friday, April 28
No. 4 Idaho State vs. No. 1 Northern Arizona - 1 p.m.
No. 3 Montana State vs. No. 2 Idaho - 2:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 29
Winners of Semifinals - 2 p.m.