FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — For the second straight year the Northern Arizona University Women's Tennis team goes into the Big Sky Tournament with a regular season championship behind them. The Lumberjack squad will start competition in the tournament semifinals on Friday, April 28 at 2 p.m. in Phoenix, Ariz. Director of Tennis Ki Kroll and the Lumberjacks, with a No. 1 seed, will have a first-round bye and play the lowest remaining seed of either Montana State (No. 3), North Dakota (No. 6), Idaho State (No. 4) or Northern Colorado (No. 5).
The Lumberjacks notched a first place finish in the regular season with a perfect 11-0 record. The 'Jacks beat both Montana State and Idaho State 4-3, Northern Colorado 6-1 and swept North Dakota 7-0. The full tournament schedule can be found below.
- Blanka Szavay and Chiara Tomasetti were ranked as high as No. 63 in the country in doubles action in the April 4 ITA Rankings
- Freshman Tomasetti was No. 18 in the ITA Mountain Region in the January 4 Rankings
- Northern Arizona has had two Big Sky Players of the Week in Tomasetti and Szavay
- Tomasetti led the Lumberjacks in singles wins with 18 overall and 10 in conference
- Tomasetti and Szavay, in doubles, led the 'Jacks with 15 overall wins
- All of NAU's doubles pairs, Hanneke Lodewijks and Brandy Walker, Marta Lewandowska and Hailey Rochin and Tomasetti and Szavay went 9-1 in the Big Sky
- On April 9, the Lumberjacks defeated the defending Big Sky Champions University of Idaho, after losing to them in the championship match last season.
Last Time Out
The Fighting Hawks will face No. 3 Montana State University in the quarterfinals on Thursday, April 27 at 2 p.m. If UND upsets the Bobcats, the Fighting Hawks will have a chance to redeem their mid-season 7-0 loss to the Lumberjacks. The win over UND, added to the Lumberjacks series of straight 7-0 sweeps this season. North Dakota enters this weekend 8-15 overall and 4-7 in the Big Sky.
The Bears will face No. 4 Idaho State University on Thursday, April 27 at 3:30 p.m. If UNC garners a victory, then they will face the Lumberjacks. The Bears fell to NAU 6-1 in March and will be fighting for an upset. Northern Colorado will go into the weekend 8-12 overall and 5-6 in conference.
If Montana State beats North Dakota, NAU will face the winner of Idaho State and Northern Colorado. The Bobcats enter postseason 13-5 overall and 9-2 in the Big Sky. The Lumberjacks gave the Bobcats their first loss of the season 4-3 with just three matches left in the regular season. As one of the only undefeated teams left in conference at the time, the Bobcats will be looking to take down NAU.
The Bengals are going into postseason competition 9-10 overall and 7-4 in the Big Sky. If Idaho State beats Northern Colorado, then the Bengals will face the undefeated Lumberjacks. Idaho State fell to NAU 4-3 in late March and will be looking to beat the blue and gold for the first time this season in the semifinals.
Follow the Action
Live Twitter results: @NAUWomensTennis
Match recaps: www.nauathletics.com
Thursday, April 27
No. 3 Montana State vs. No. 6 North Dakota - 2 p.m.
No. 4 Idaho State vs. No. 5 Northern Colorado - 3:30 p.m.
Friday, April 28
Lowest Remaining Seed vs. No. 1 Northern Arizona - 2 p.m.
Highest Remaining Seed vs. No. 2 Idaho - 3:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 29
Winners of Semifinals - 2 p.m.