BOZEMAN, Mont. — The NAU Women's Tennis team remains in first place as the only undefeated team in the Big Sky Conference at 9-0 after beating Montana State 4-3 in what was a comeback win. Northern Arizona is the only team thus far to beat the Bobcats and break their 8-0 undefeated conference record. The Lumberjacks are now 15-4 overall and just two matches from the conference tournament.
"It was a great team effort today against a very strong Montana State team," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll said. "After losing the doubles point we had to dig deep for the win."
Both the Lumberjacks and the Bobcats went into the match already clinching a spot in the conference tournament and were both undefeated. The Bobcats came out strong against the 'Jacks winning in doubles 6-1, 7-6(1). For the first time this season, NAU's No. 63 undefeated pair Chiara Tomasetti and Blanka Szavay fell to their opponents in doubles giving the Bobcats the advantage. Seniors Marta Lewandowska and Hailey Rochin leveled the playing field winning on court three before Montana State clinched over Brandy Walker and Hanneke Lodewijks. Now all of NAU's doubles teams are 7-1 in conference, with Szavay and Tomasetti still leading overall with 13 wins.
The Bobcats used their momentum from doubles to take their lead even further and put the Lumberjacks down by two after beating Lodewijks 6-1, 6-3 on court one. Northern Arizona then responded with four straight wins from Szavay, Walker, Tomasetti and then clinching at 4-2 with Lewandowska's 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 win over MSU's Jessica Brycki. The Lumberjacks won 4-3 to break the Bobcats undefeated conference record. The Lumberjacks remain in first place and have a chance to clinch the conference title after tomorrow's matchup against the Montana Grizzlies.
"I'm very proud of everyone," said Kroll.
Northern Arizona will return on the courts Sunday, April 16 to compete against Montana for a chance to clinch the Big Sky Conference regular season title for the second year in a row. The match is set for 9 a.m. against the Bobcats in what will be their senior day.
- Chloe Goyette/Laura Middel (MSU) def. Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) 6-1
- Jessica Brycki/Naomi Holopainen (MSU) def. Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) 7-6(1)
- Hailey Rochin/Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Wanda Holopainen/Angelina Philippova (MSU) 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
- Chloe Goyette (MSU) def. Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) 6-1, 6-3
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Laura Middel (MSU) 7-6(2), 6-1
- Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Naomi Holopainen (MSU) 7-5, 6-3
- Brandy Walker (NAU) def. Angelina Philippova (MSU) 6-4, 7-6(5)
- Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Jessica Brycki (MSU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
- Wanda Holopainen (MSU) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 2-6, 7-6(5), 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 2, 5*, 6