BROOKINGS, S.D. — For the third straight match, the Northern Arizona Women's Tennis team swept their opponents 7-0. The Lumberjacks increase to 13-4 overall and remain 7-0 in conference after taking on the South Dakota State Jackrabbits early Sunday morning. The 'Jacks have just four matches left until the Big Sky conference tournament.
Northern Arizona has dominated the courts this season and has not dropped a set in over a week. Against the Jackrabbits, the Lumberjacks swept doubles on all courts 6-4, 6-1, 6-4. NAU's Hailey Rochin and Eirene Granville paired for the first time this season to clinch the doubles point on court three over South Dakota's Molly Crum and Elif Gabb.
The Lumberjacks went into singles 1-0, with the first two wins coming from Chiara Tomasetti and Blanka Szavay to put the 'Jacks up 3-0. Freshman Brandy Walker clinched the match at 4-0 with her 6-1, 6-2 win over Crum. South Dakota State could not respond fast enough, because the Lumberjacks continued to sweep the board with three more wins from Hanneke Lodewijks, Granville and Rochin. This seven-woman squad has found continued success so far this season and their team dynamic is credit to their team chemistry.
"They are good friends on and off the court and support each other in school and tennis," Assistant Coach Orsi Golovics said. "Today we already clinched the match, but the team was lining up to cheer on the women who were still playing. This helps a lot, especially on the road."
The Lumberjacks are coming out of this weekend adding two wins to their overall record without dropping a single set. The 'Jacks will have a full week of practice before hosting Idaho in their only match next weekend. Northern Arizona is set to compete against the Vandals Sunday, April 9 at 3 p.m. The match will be held in the Aquatic and Tennis Complex and is free for all who attend.
- Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Iasmin Rosa/Morgan Brower (SDS) 6-4
- Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Maria Velazco/Emily van Dijk (SDS) 6-1
- Hailey Rochin/Eirene Granville (NAU) def. Molly Crum/Elif Gabb (SDS) 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
- Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Iasmin Rosa (SDS) 6-4, 6-0
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Morgan Brower (SDS) 6-3, 6-1
- Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Maria Velazco (SDS) 6-1, 6-2
- Brandy Walker (NAU) def. Molly Crum (SDS) 6-3, 6-0
- Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Laura Romero (SDS) 6-2, 6-4
- Eirene Granville (NAU) def. Elif Gabb (SDS) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 4*, 1, 6, 5