FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — With only six conference matches remaining, the Northern Arizona Women's Tennis team remains on top increasing to 6-0 after sweeping the Eastern Washington Eagles at home. Going into the match the Lumberjacks were tied for first with Montana State and Idaho, both with a 5-0 record. Overall, Northern Arizona is 11-4 and has maintained an undefeated home record throughout the season so far.
"We have continued to improve," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll said. "We have become more aggressive in doubles and have learned how to be consistent in singles, we are growing as a program."
Northern Arizona did not drop a single set this afternoon, dominating in doubles on all three courts 6-3, 6-4, 6-3. NAU's doubles leaders Chiara Tomasetti and Blanka Szavay picked up their 10th win this season increasing to 5-0 in conference, while pair Marta Lewandowska and Eirene Granville paired for just the second time this season to clinch the doubles point over EWU's Katrina Domingo and Valentina Sottile. The Lumberjacks are undefeated in conference doubles at 16-0.
The Lumberjacks went into singles 1-0 and continued to dominate, winning on every court in two sets. To start, No. 18 Tomasetti gave NAU their first singles win over Faye Worrall 6-1, 6-1 and senior Szavay bested Erin Blessing on court three 6-0, 6-2. To clinch, senior Lewandowska dominated in a well-played 6-1, 6-3 win over EWU's Valentina Sottile. The Lumberjacks continued play with wins from Walker, Lodewijks and Hailey Rochin to sweep the Eagles 7-0.
Northern Arizona returns to the courts on the road next weekend to first compete against North Dakota Saturday, April 1. The match is set for noon against the Fighting Hawks. The Lumberjacks will then travel to face the South Dakota State Jackrabbits the following day. The match is set for 10 a.m.
- Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Janaya Smith/Faye Worrall (EWU) 6-3
- Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Erin Blessing/Rachael Swindell (EWU) 6-4
- Marta Lewandowska/Eirene Granville (NAU) def. Katrina Domingo/Valentina Sottile (EWU) 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
- Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Janaya Smith (EWU) 6-1, 6-2
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Faye Worrall (EWU) 6-1, 6-1
- Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Erin Blessing (EWU) 6-0, 6-2
- Brandy Walker (NAU) def. Rachel Swindell (EWU) 6-2, 6-3
- Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Valentina Sottile (EWU) 6-1, 6-3
- Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Carolina Lopez (EWU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 5*, 4, 1, 6