FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — The Northern Arizona Women's Tennis team traveled south to take on in-state rivals No. 45 Arizona State in Tempe. The Sundevils prove a strong opponent every year for the Lumberjacks as a Pac-12 conference team. However, this year the Lumberjacks came out with everything they had, beating ASU in doubles to give them an early lead. Despite the effort, the Lumberjacks lost 6-1. The 'Jacks are now 10-4 overall going into the weekend against conference opponent Eastern Washington.
"We played a very good nationally ranked program, raising our level," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll said. "Everyone gave their best effort and I'm very proud of the team."
Team wins leaders Chiara Tomasetti and Blanka Szavay started the Lumberjacks off strong, pairing to give NAU their first 6-4 doubles win. Northern Arizona's Brandy Walker and Hanneke Lodewijks then battled it out in a tiebreaker to clinch the doubles point 7-6, putting the 'Jacks up 1-0 over a nationally ranked team. Together the two pairs have won 16 out of 26 doubles wins in blue and gold. Senior pair Marta Lewandowska and Hailey Rochin was looking good as well, tied at 6-6, before their match was abandoned.
Despite the momentum, the Sundevils were able to sweep singles winning on every court in two sets. ASU's No. 95 Kelley Anderson beat Szavay 6-1, 6-0 on court three to start. Lodewijks also fell to her ASU opponent right after with the same score. The Sundevils clinched the win at 4-1. NAU's Tomasetti, who is regionally ranked at No. 18, put up a fight for the Lumberjacks taking ASU's No. 63 Sammi Hampton to a tiebreak in the second set, losing by just one point. Overall, the Lumberjacks fought hard, but Arizona State was able to overpower NAU.
The Lumberjacks continue the weekend against conference opponent Eastern Washington. The 'Jacks will return to Flagstaff to host the Eagles Sunday, March 26 at 2 p.m. The match will be held in the Aquatic and Tennis Complex and is free for all who attend. Free t-shirts will be given out for fans who come and support!
- Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Alexandra Osborne/Nicole Fossa-Huergo (ASU) 6-4
- Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Kelley Anderson/Savannah Slaysman (ASU) 7-6(4)
- Marta Lewandowska/Hailey Rochin (NAU) vs. Kassidy Jump/Sammi Hampton (ASU) DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2
- Kassidy Jump (ASU) def. Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) 6-0, 6-1
- Sammi Hampton (ASU) def. Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) 6-1, 7-6(6)
- Kelley Anderson (ASU) def. Blanka Szavay (NAU) 6-1, 6-0
- Nicole Fossa Huergo (ASU) def. Brandy Walker (NAU) 6-2, 6-3
- Savannah Slaysman (ASU) def. Marta Lewandowska (NAU) 6-2, 6-2
- Gussie O'Sullivan (ASU) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 5, 6*, 4, 2