ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The Northern Arizona Women's Tennis team picked up their eighth straight win on the road against the New Mexico Lobos. The Lumberjacks are 8-2 overall, with losses to UC Davis and Arizona, and remain undefeated at home. The Lobos could not end their losing streak against the Lumberjacks, although it was a hard fought battle on both sides.
Northern Arizona clinched the doubles point after winning on courts one and two 6-1, 6-3. NAU pair Blanka Szavay and Chiara Tomasetti are leading the Lumberjacks with seven wins, while pair Hanneke Lodewijks and Brandy Walker remain undefeated with six wins. Overall, the Lumberjacks have won 18 of their 21 doubles matches.
With the score 1-0, the Lobos started off strong to tie it up against Szavay 7-6 (3), 6-2. They then took the opportunity and the lead with Diana Wong besting Marta Lewandowska 6-1, 7-6 (3). In a sudden change of momentum the Lumberjacks won the next match, tying the score back up at 2-2 with Lodewijks win over UNM senior Ludivine Burguiere. The match went back and forth, until NAU was able to clinch the match with No. 18 Tomasetti's win over Ruth Copas on court two. The 'Jacks won 4-3 over the New Mexico Lobos.
Northern Arizona will face their next conference match Friday, March 17 at 11 a.m. against the Northern Colorado Bears. The Lumberjacks will then remain on the road to take on the University of Wyoming the following day at 9 a.m.
- Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Rachana Bhat/ Dominique Dulski (UNM) 6-1
- Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Emily Olivier/ Diana Wong (UNM) 6-3
- Hailey Rochin/Marta Lewandowska (NAU) vs. Ruth Copas/Cassie Chung (UNM) DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
- Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Ludivine Burguiere (UNM) 7-6(3), 6-3
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Ruth Copas (UNM) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Dominique Dulski (UNM) def. Blanka Szavay (NAU) 7-6(3), 6-2
- Brandy Walker (NAU) def. Cassie Chung (UNM) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
- Diana Wong (UNM) def. Marta Lewandowska (NAU) 6-1, 7-6(3)
- Rachana Bhat (UNM) def. Eirene Granville (NAU) 6-2, 7-6 (3)
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 1, 6, 4, 2*