FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — The Northern Arizona Women's Tennis team swept the Utah State Aggies 7-0 clinching their seventh straight win. The Lumberjacks are 7-2 overall, with losses to UC Davis and Arizona, and remain undefeated at home. The 'Jacks did not drop a set to their non-conference opponent before clinching the match at 4-0.
"Utah State came out mentally strong and is an extremely competitive team," said Assistant Coach Orsi Golovics. "There was tension on every court, but I'm proud of how our team responded."
Tensions were high as nearly every close point was contested by the Aggies. Despite their efforts, Northern Arizona took command in doubles securing the point after winning 6-0, 6-4 on courts one and three. Blanka Szavay and Chiara Tomasetti paired for their sixth win this season, now leading the 'Jacks in the win column. The pair swept Utah State's Maggie O'Meara and Ekaterina Tugarinova on court one. Marta Lewandowska and Hailey Rochin paired for their fifth win this season besting Lucy Octave and Jenna Kane.
With NAU up 1-0, Lewandowska finished first in singles for the third match in a row winning 6-1, 6-0. The Lumberjacks led the Aggies throughout the day, with Eirene Granville picking up the next win and Brandy Walker clinching the match overall. Utah State did not win a single set until an intense battle between No. 18 Tomasetti and Utah State's Tugarinova. Tomasetti won the tiebreak 10-5 to put the 'Jacks up 6-0. The final match was between Szavay, who is undefeated in singles and leading NAU in wins, and Nini Guensler, who is tied at No. 18 with Tomasetti. In just two sets, Szavay beat Guensler 7-6, 6-2.
"As a captain and a senior, Blanka has been a good example for the team," said Golovics. "She is determined and really good at doing whatever she can to win her matches."
The Lumberjacks will not compete next weekend; however, they will compete on the road in three matches the following week, starting with New Mexico Tuesday, March 14 at 3 p.m. The 'Jacks will also take on conference opponent Northern Colorado Friday, March 17 at 11 a.m. The following day, the 'Jacks will face University of Wyoming at 9 a.m.
- Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Maggie O'Meara/Ekaterina Tugarinova (USU) 6-0
- Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Nini Guensler/Sabrina Demerath (USU) 5-5
- Hailey Rochin/Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Lucy Octave/Jenna Kane (USU) 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
- Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Nini Guensler (USU) 7-6, 6-2
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Ekaterina Tugarinova (USU) 4-6, 6-1, (10-5)
- Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Lucy Octave (USU) 6-2, 6-2
- Brandy Walker (NAU) def. Monika Van de Vondel (USU) 6-4, 6-2
- Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Hannah Jones (USU) 6-1, 6-0
- Eirene Granville (NAU) def. Jenna Kane (USU) 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 4*, 3, 2, 1