TUCSON, Ariz. — The Northern Arizona University women's tennis team dropped their second match of the season to the University of Arizona with a final score of 4-0. The Lumberjacks are now 0-2 this season.
"I think we are already improving," said Director of Tennis Ki Kroll. "As we fought hard on every court."
"We came out strong in doubles with high intensity, and put ourselves in a position to win the point," said Kroll. "It was unfortunate we couldn't close."
After the first game, the Lumberjacks lost the next two and the doubles point to Wildcat pairs Samantha Czarniak and Lauren Marker and Devin Chypyha and Camila Wesbrooks. Once the Wildcats clinched the doubles point, they swept the Lumberjacks in three straight singles games before three courts were able to finish. Lodewijks took on the Wildcat's best on court one No. 18 Marker in a 6-1, 6-4 loss. None of the games went to three sets.
Northern Arizona will return to Flagstaff, with next weekend off, to continue practice before taking on Grand Canyon in their home opener Feb. 10. The match is set to begin at 5 p.m. MST.
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Lauren Marker (UofA) def. Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Samantha Czarniak (UofA) def. Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) 6-4, 3-2 (unfinished)
3. Devin Chypyha (UofA) def. Blanka Szavay (NAU) 6-4, 5-2 (unfinished)
4. Paris Corley (UofA) def. Marta Lewandowska (NAU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Brandy Walker (NAU) def. Marie Van Aelst (UofA) 7-5, 2-3 (unfinished)
6. Camila Wesbrooks (UofA) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 6-1, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 6*