TEMPE, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona University women's tennis team fell to UC Davis with a final score of 4-3 in their first match of the season. After being rained out Friday, Jan. 20 against Arizona State, the Lumberjacks are now 0-1 on the season.
"It was a good effort for our first match," said Director of Tennis Ki Kroll. "However, we will have to continue to work hard."
The Lumberjacks picked up some impressive doubles wins to start over Big West opponent UC Davis. Hanneke Lodewijks and Blanka Szavay paired to win 6-4 over Kristy Jorgensen and Kelsie Bryant on court one. Then Marta Lewandowska and Chiara Tomasetti clinched the doubles point with a 6-3 win on court two.
"We came out strong in doubles to win the point," said Kroll. "We were very aggressive to start."
On the singles end, UC Davis tied it up right from the beginning with Kristina Breisacher taking a 6-4, 6-3 win against Brandy Walker. With the score 1-1, UC Davis took the advantage and the lead winning the next three of their games. The Aggies clinched the match against NAU on court one where Jorgensen took a 6-3, 6-7, 6-3 win against Lodewijks. NAU finished the match out with wins from Tomasetti and Szavay.
Northern Arizona will return to Flagstaff with a week of practice before heading south again to take on University of Arizona on Saturday, Jan. 28 in Tucson, Ariz. The match is set to begin at 10 a.m. MST.
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Kristy Jorgensen (UCD) def. Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) 6-3, 6-7, 6-3
2. Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Jessie Lee (UCD) 6-2, 6-7(1), 6-3
3. Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Lani-Rae Green (UCD) 6-7, 6-2, 7-5
4. Kristina Breisacher (UCD) def. Brandy Walker (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Bella von Ebbe (UCD) def. Marta Lewandowska (NAU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
6. Nikita Pradeep (UCD) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 5, 1*, 2, 3