Two in a Row For NAU After 4-0 Victory Over ISU
Photo Courtesy of Idaho State Athletics
POCATELLO, Idaho – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team continued its road trip as they traveled to Pocatello to face Idaho State. The Lumberjacks were able to carry the momentum from yesterday's match with Weber State into today's match and the Lumberjacks walked away with the 5-0 victory over the Bengals to improve to 6-2 in the Big Sky.
"I think we executed extremely well today," said Johanna Vang. "We stuck to our game plan and as a team we stepped up and I am so proud of the girls."
The Lumberjacks took two doubles matches from the Bengals as NAU came away with the doubles point. At the No. 1 spot, Emelia Box and Hailey Rochin defeated Marian Tangarife and Laura Theus 8-5 for the duo's second straight win in doubles. Vang and Sarah Maria Spruch got back to their winning ways as they came away with the 8-2 victory over Idaho State's Svenja Tegtmeier and Wiebke Boeckmann, which was their first win in the duo's last four doubles matches. Tatum Rochin and Jordan Denesik were up 6-3 as the No. 3 team but did not finish due to the Lumberjacks already clinching the doubles point.
The Lumberjacks went unbeaten in singles and came away with three wins from Vang, Denesik and Hailey Rochin to give the Lumberjacks their second straight win.
Vang continues to lead the charge for the Lumberjacks at the No. 1 spot as grabbed her second straight win in singles as she took down Marian Tangarife 6-2, 6-1. That gave the native of Sweden her 10th win this season. Denesik dominated her match at the No. 3 position with the 6-1, 6-1 victory over Svenja Tegtmeier. The Lumberjacks' final win came from Hailey Rochin at No. 4 as she took down Madelyn Weltzin 6-4, 6-4 for her eighth win in singles this season.
"We have improved so much this season and I am excited to see what we can do at conference," said Vang.
With the win, the Lumberjacks are in a good spot to make the Big Sky Championships as they currently sit tied for third in the conference. The Lumberjacks will conclude today's doubleheader against Utah State with play beginning at 5 p.m.
- Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Marian Tangarife/Laura Theus (ISU) 8-5
- Johanna Vang/Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) def. Svenja Tegtmeier/Wiebke Boeckmann (ISU) 8-2
- Tatum Rochin/Jordan Denesik (NAU) & Kasey Bacon/Madelyn Weltzin (ISU) 6-3 DNF
- Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Marian Tangarife (ISU) 6-2, 6-1
- Emelia Box (NAU) & Kasey Bacon (ISU) 6-4, 3-3 DNF
- Jordan Denesik (NAU) def. Svenja Tegtmeier (ISU) 6-1, 6-1
- Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Madelyn Weltzin (ISU) 6-4,6-4
- Wiebke Boeckmann (ISU) & Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) 6-0, 3-0 DNF
- Laura Theus (ISU) & Tatum Rochin (NAU) 4-0 DNF