Lumberjacks Snap Losing Skid with 5-1 Win Against EWU
CHENEY, Wash. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team was able to win its second straight doubles point in two matches and the Lumberjacks were able to defeat Eastern Washington 5-1 to snap its seven-match losing skid.
"This was a match that could have gone either way," said head coach Kim Bruno. "Every single member of this team stepped up and competed hard. This is the breakthrough we needed and proves that hard work is paying off."
The Lumberjacks are playing their best doubles play of the season so far as Northern Arizona has won the last two doubles point in their last two matches. Johanna Vang and Sarah Maria Spruch were able to pick up their second straight wins in doubles play defeating Dani Young and Katrina Domingo 8-2.
"Every single one of us showed up today and this win was really a team effort," said Vang. "It's good to see that all the hard work we have put in is finally paying off."
The Lumberjacks won the singles matches from the No. 1 position, all the way down to the No. 4 spot with Hailey Rochin defeating Domingo 6-2, 6-3. Emelia Box got back to her winning ways at the No. 2 slot defeating Young 7-5, 6-3. Jordan Denesik was also able to get a win at No. 3 defeating Eastern Washington's Erin Blessing 7-5, 6-4.
Despite the seven-match losing skid, the Lumberjacks win gives Northern Arizona a 2-1 record in the Big Sky Conference.
"We are sitting 2-1 in conference and I feel really good about the direction we're heading in," said Vang.
- Moira Hedberg/Erin Blessing (EW) def. Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU) 8-2
- Sarah Maria Spruch/Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Dani Young/Katrina Domingo (EWU) 8-2
- Tatum Rochin/Jordan Denesik (NAU) def. Brittany Ellingson/Malieva Hedberg (EW) 8-6
- Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Moira Hedberg (EWU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
- Emelia Box (NAU) def. Dani Young (EWU) 7-5, 6-3
- Jordan Denesik (NAU) def. Erin Blessing (EWU) 7-5, 6-4
- Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Katrina Domingo (EWU) 6-2, 6-3
- Malieva Hedberg (EWU) def. Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) 7-5, 7-5
- Alyssa Nagai (EWU) & Tatum Rochin (NAU) NO RESULT