Vang Goes Unbeaten in 5-2 Loss to Gonzaga
SPOKANE, Wash. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team played its second match this week traveling to the Pacific Northwest to face Gonzaga University who earned its first ever ITA ranking. The Bulldogs went into the match ranked as the 72nd best team in the nation and all throughout the match, the Lumberjacks competed against Gonzaga but the Bulldogs pulled out the 5-2 win over the Lumberjacks.
"We had a good doubles win and a good win for Johanna," said head coach Kim Bruno. "We are focusing on the positives from this match heading into tomorrow."
The Lumberjacks started play today against the Bulldogs strong as Northern Arizona came away with the doubles point with two wins at the No. 1 and 2 teams. The No. 1 team, Hailey Rochin and Emelia Box, clinched the doubles point for the Lumberjacks as they were able to defeat Kylie Peek and Samantha Polayes 8-3 to secure the point for the Northern Arizona.
The other doubles win came from Sarah Maria Spruch and Johanna Vang at No. 2 as they got the Lumberjacks first win of the day defeating Katie Edwards and Melanie Yates. Spruch and Vang dominated from beginning to end as they routed Edwards and Yates by a score of 8-1. This was Spruch's and Vang's first doubles match together this season and they displayed an impressive performance.
"I think this is the best doubles we have played so far this season," said Vang. "It felt great to finally get that doubles point and all three teams competed very well."
Vang was undefeated in play today as she came away with a win at the No. 1 position in singles. Vang defeated Peek 6-3 in the first set and had to battle her way to a 7-5 win in the second set for the victory. This was Vang's first win this season at the No. 1 position for the Lumberjacks.
"My singles win felt really good because I lost to her (Peek) 6-7, 6-7 my freshman year," said Vang. "I have been waiting two years for a rematch and I am glad I was able to come away with the win."
The Lumberjacks will conclude this week's play in Cheney, Wash. as they face Big Sky opponent Eastern Washington to close out the road trip. Play will begin at 10 a.m. at the Jim Thorpe Fieldhouse.
- Hailey Rochin/Emelia Box (NAU) def. Kylie Peek/Samantha Polayes (GON) 8-3
- Sarah Maria Spruch/Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Katie Edwards/Melanie Yates (GON) 8-1
- Isabell Klingert/Alexandra Tallas (GON) def. Tatum Rochin/Jordan Denesik (NAU) 8-5
- Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Kylie Peek (GON) 6-3, 7-5
- Samantha Polayes (GON) def. Emelia Box (NAU) 6-3, 6-4
- Katie Edwards (GON) def. Jordan Denesik (NAU) 6-0, 6-2
- Melanie yates (GON) def. Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) 6-3, 6-2
- Isabell Klingert (GON) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 5-7, 6-4, 10-7
- Alexandra Tallas (GON) def. Tatum Rochin (NAU) 6-3, 7-5