Lumberjacks Struggle Against Western Michigan 6-1
TEMPE, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team struggles continued when they traveled down to Tempe to face Western Michigan and were a handed a 6-1 loss by the Broncos. This is the first of three matches this week Northern Arizona will play on the road.
"Western Michigan is a tough team," said head coach Kim Bruno. "In order for us to beat teams like them, we need every player to step up as a team. We will look to do that this upcoming weekend."
The Lumberjacks' lone win came from Johanna Vang at the No. 2 position where she was able to defeat Kathleen Hawkins. Vang was able to take the first set 6-3 and in the second set Vang left no room for Hawkins to make a comeback as she was able to take the second set 6-2 to come away with the victory.
"My opponent and I had very similar styles and every point was a battle," said Vang. "I played well though and was ultimately able to outperform her."
The Broncos took the doubles point to start out today's match with wins from the No. 2 and No. 3 teams. This was the first time this season Vang and Hailey Rochin shared the court together in doubles at No. 1 and they held a 7-5 lead over Western Michigan's Hawkins and Caroline Aleck, but did not finish the match due to the Broncos already clinching the doubles point.
"Even though we were not able to finish the match, it was fun being reunited with my freshman (Hailey Rochin)," said Vang.
Just one of the six singles matches went to a third set as Northern Arizona's Tatum Rochin took her No. 6 singles match to three sets. After dropping the first set 6-2, Rochin was able to fight back and take the second set 6-1 but Yuriko Ono came back in the final set to defeat Rochin 6-1.
The Lumberjacks will look to end their six-match losing streak when they travel this weekend to the Pacific Northwest to face Gonzaga and Eastern Washington with play beginning on Friday, Mar. 7.
"We are such a talented team and we have all the tools to win," said Vang. "I have faith in our capabilities though and I truly believe we are going to turn this season around."
- Hailey Rochin/Johanna Vang (NAU) & Kathleen Hawkins/Caroline Aleck (WMU) 7-5 (DNF)
- Nini Sujashvili/Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Sarah Maria Spruch/Jordan Denesik (NAU) 8-4
- Meika Ashby/Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Tatum Rochin/Emelia Box (NAU) 8-4
- Nini Sujashvili (WMU) def. Emelia Box (NAU) 6-3, 6-1
- Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Kathleen Hawkins (WMU) 6-3, 6-2
- Meika Ashby (WMU) def. Jordan Denesik (NAU) 6-4, 6-4
- Tracy Kuhle (WMU) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 6-3, 6-1
- Caroline Aleck (WMU) def. Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
- Yuriko Ono (WMU) def. Tatum Rochin (NAU) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1