Portland State Hands NAU First Big Sky Loss This Season
VANCOUVER, Wash. – The Pacific Northwest was unfriendly to the Northern Arizona women's tennis team as the Lumberjacks suffered its first Big Sky loss of the season against Portland State, 6-1.
"All we can do at this point is not let this loss define us as a team," said head coach Kim Bruno. "We are a better team than this and the girls need to know that losing is not acceptable."
Northern Arizona's matchup with the Vikings was the first Big Sky Conference road match for the Lumberjacks this season. Play began today with Portland State picking up the doubles point with two wins against the Lumberjacks. NAU's only doubles win came at the No. 3 position from Sarah Maria Spruch and Jordan Denesik defeating Portland State's Alexa McDonald and Ayaka Terawaka in a tough 8-7 match.
"Even after the tough matches it is important to come back," said Denesik. "We need to come back and work harder and look forward to the next match."
Spruch was also able to pick up the lone win in singles play at No. 6 defeating Ayaka Terawaka 6-4, 6-1. Spruch is now on a two-match winning streak in singles after picking up a win on Friday against Nevada.
For the second straight match, Johanna Vang played at the No. 1 position for the Lumberjacks and again took her opponent to a three-set match. Vang came out of the gate winning her first set 6-4 against Dane Vorster but Vorster would eventually come back and win two-straight sets 6-2, 6-1 to take the victory.
The Lumberjacks will now head back to Flagstaff where they will take a week off from play and be back in action on Mar. 4 at 10 a.m. when they face Western Michigan at Arizona State.
- Dane Vorster/Megan Govi (PSU) def. Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU) 8-6
- Sabina-Elena Preda/Marina Todd (PSU) def. Johanna Vang/Tatum Rochin (NAU) 8-3
- Sarah Maria Spruch/Jordan Denesik def. Alexa McDonald/Ayaka Terakawa (PSU) 8-7
- Dane Vorster (PSU) def. Johanna Vang (NAU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
- Marina Todd (PSU) def. Emelia Box (NAU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
- Sabina-Elena Preda (PSU) def. Jordan Denesik (NAU) 6-3, 6-3
- Megan Govi (PSU) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 6-4, 7-5
- Alexa McDonald (PSU) def. Tatum Rochin (NAU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
- Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) def. Ayaka Terakawa (PSU) 6-4, 6-1