Lumberjacks Drop Close Match to Nevada 4-3
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis squad hosted its first home match of the season against the University of Nevada. The Lumberjacks fought back to even the match at 2-2 but eventually fell to the Wolf Pack by a score of 4-3.
"We put ourselves in a position to win today and we just did not get it done," said head coach Kim Bruno. "This is an extremely good opponent in Nevada and we should have beaten them. We are a very good team at moments and if we can take care of the match points, I am very hopeful of this team."
The Lumberjacks had opportunities in every doubles match to pull out a win and the Wolf Pack were able to pull out two wins in doubles play to begin the match with a 1-0 lead over the Lumberjacks. NAU's lone win in doubles came from Emelia Box and Hailey Rochin who got an 8-3 win over Caroline Konigsfeldt and Beatriz Garcia Planas.
The Lumberjacks responded with a win from Sarah Maria Spruch at the No. 6 position over Beatriz Garcia Planas 6-3, 6-3 to put the Lumberjacks on the scoreboard.
"Nevada is a very good team but we really thought we could beat this team," said Spruch. "I needed this win for my confidence and going into conference play this will only help my game."
Box followed Spruch's winning ways with a win over Sheila Morales Hidalgo 6-4, 6-4 for her first match at the No. 2 slot this season.
Nevada's No. 1 player, Michelle Okhremchuk went into today's match ranked as the second best singles player in the Mountain Region and Johanna Vang played against Okhremchuk at the No. 1 position for the first time this season and Vang took Okhremchuk to three sets but eventually fell to Nevada's Okhremchuk 6-7, 6-1, 6-2.
Nevada clinched the win with a victory from Sheila Smiley over Hailey Rochin in three sets to give Nevada the match.
The Lumberjacks will take Saturday off to head to Portland State for their first Big Sky road match of the season.
"We have to adjust because we will be at sea level," said Bruno. "We will have to rally a lot more balls and adjust to the style of courts they have in Portland and learn from our mistakes today."
The Lumberjacks and the Vikings will begin play at 11 a.m. in Vancouver, Wash.
- Michelle Okhremchuk/Sheila Morales Hidalgo (UN) def. Johanna Vang/Tatum Rochin (NAU) 8-6
- Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Caroline Konigsfeldt/Beatriz Garcia Planas (UN) 8-3
- Juliette Legende/Sheila Smiley (UN) def. Sarah Maria Spruch/Jordan Denesik (NAU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
- Michelle Okhremchuk (UN) def. Johanna Vang (NAU) 6-7, 6-1, 6-2
- Emelia Box (NAU) def. Sheila Morales Hidalgo (UN) 6-4, 6-4
- Jordan Denesik (NAU) def. Caroline Konigsfeldt (UN) 6-1, 4-7, 4-3
- Sheila Smiley (UN) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
- Monika Magusiak (UN) def. Tatum Rochin (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
- Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) def. Beatriz Garcia Planas (UN) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 2, 1,