LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team faced Lamar at New Mexico State and the Lumberjacks competed very well against the Cardinals but eventually dropped a close one to Lamar 4-3.
Doubles play improved for the Lumberjacks against Lamar as they started out the day picking up the doubles point with wins from Johanna Vang/Tatum Rochin and also Sarah Maria Spruch/Olivia Headford. Vang and Tatum Rochin were able to defeat Lamar's Anna Spengler/Katya Lapayeva duo 6-2, while Spruch and Headford picked up a 7-5 victory over Hanna Elfving and Dariya Dashutina. Vang and Tatum Rochin have been playing great tennis together this season as today's doubles win over Lamar gives them their fifth win of the season.
Three of the six singles matches went to a third set and the Lady Cardinals were able to win every match that went to a third set. Vang was able to get a win at No. 2 for the Lumberjacks defeating Alicia Porte 6-4, 7-5. Hailey Rochin was the last one to get a point for the Lumberjacks for the day defeating Lamar's Hanna Elfving 6-2, 6-1.
Jordan Denesik, Tatum Rochin and Spruch each took their match to a third set but none were able to pull out a wingiving Lamar the victory over the Lumberjacks.
The Lumberjacks will be back in action tomorrow against New Mexico State to close out their three-match weekend in Las Cruces.
- Alicia Porte/Carolina Maso (Lamar) def. Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU) 6-3
- Johanna Vang/Tatum Rochin (NAU) def. Anna Spengler/Katya Lapayeva (Lamar) 6-2
- Sarah Maria Spruch/Olivia Headford (NAU) def. Hanna Elfving/Dariya Dashutina 7-5
- Dariya Dashutina (Lamar) def. Emelia Box (NAU) 7-5, 6-1
- Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Alicia Porte (Lamar) 6-4, 7-5
- Carolina Maso (Lamar) def. Jordan Denesik (NAU) 3-6, 7-5, 10-6
- Hailey Rochin (Lamar) def. Hanna Elfving (Lamar) 6-2, 6-1
- Anna Spengler (Lamar) def. Tatum Rochin (NAU) 2-6, 7-6 (4), 10-6
- Katya Lapayeva (Lamar) def. Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) 6-1, 4-6, 10-8