ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis had a big win over Big Sky opponent Montana State for their first win of the season overcoming sickness and injury throughout the team. On Sunday against a tough University of New Mexico squad and the Lumberjacks were not able to overcome those challenges and fell to the Lobos 7-0. The Lumberjacks continued play in Albuquerque as they faced Western New Mexico to close out the day and head coach Kim Bruno's squad responded with a 6-1 victory over Western New Mexico.
"I am very pleased with the way our team responded today," said Bruno. "We had a tough match against New Mexico and the girls continued to fight against Western New Mexico and this was a win we needed."
In doubles, the lone win from the Lumberjacks came from junior Johanna Vang and senior Tatum Rochin who got back to their winning ways after a tough loss on Friday against Montana State. Vang and Rochin were able to regain their form against New Mexico's Meredith Hopson and Natasha Smith and pull out the win 7-5.
After a gritty performance at the No. 1 spot on Friday from sophomore Emelia Box, she was unable to play in singles today due to the flu and that meant freshman Olivia Headford played her first match of the season at No. 6 with every player having to move up a spot.
Vang moved up to No. 1 and competed against New Mexico's Michaela Bezdickova and took the match to three sets. After losing the first set 6-4, Vang stormed back in the second set 6-3 to take the second set. Vang dropped the final set 1-0 (5). The native of Sweden is also battling injuries as well and showed a lot of heart playing four matches in three days.
Freshman Hailey Rochin played her first match of the season at No. 2 and did a good job of competing and staying in her match throughout the day. Rochin dropped both sets by a score of 6-4 at the hands of Lizette Blankers from New Mexico.
Against Western New Mexico, Box struggled at No. 1 and was the only Lumberjack to come away with a loss. The rest of NAU played extremely well and from the No. 4 spot to the No. 6 spot, NAU shut out Western New Mexico with the 6-0 results from sophomore Jordan Denesik, senior Tatum Rochin and junior Sara Maria Spruch.
Freshman Hailey Rochin picked up her first singles win of the season defeating the Mustang's Claudia Osuna 6-2, 6-0. Hailey Rochin also picked up a win in doubles along with Box defeating Western New Mexico's Ganna Tiurina and Diamond Morrill.
Results Against New Mexico
1) Bezdickova/Blankers (UNM) def. Box/H. Rochin (NAU), 7-6 (5)
2) Vang/T. Rochin (NAU) def. Hopson/Smith (UNM), 7-5
3) Baklini/Olivier (UNM) def. Spruch/Denesik (NAU), 6-3
1) Bezdickova (UNM) def. Vang (NAU), 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (5)
2) Blankers (UNM) def. H. Rochin (NAU), 6-4, 6-4
3) Smith (UNM) def. Denesik (NAU), 7-5, 6-2
4) Hopson (UNM) def. T. Rochin (NAU), 6-4, 6-0
5) Olivier (UNM) def. Spruch (NAU), 6-2, 6-1
6) Bhat (UNM) def. Headford, 6-1, 6-2
Results Against Western New Mexico
1) Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Ganna Tiurina/Diamond Morrill (WNM) 6-2
2) Tatum Rochin/Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Marie Monier/Dena Irvin (WNM) 6-0
3) Sara Maria Spruch/Jordan Denesik (NAU) def. Claudia Osuna/Marissa Aguirre (WNM) 6-1
1) Ganna Tiurina (WNM) def. Emelia Box (NAU) 6-3, 6-0
2) Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Marie Monier (WNM) 6-1, 6-2
3) Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Claudia Osuna (WNM) 6-2, 6-0
4) Jordan Denesik (NAU) def. Diamond Morrill (WNM) 6-0, 6-0
5) Tatum Rochin (NAU) def. Dena Irvin (WNM) 6-0, 6-0
6) Sara Maria Spruch (NAU) def. Marissa Aguirre (WNM) 6-0, 6-0