SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis was blanked 7-0 for the first time this season as San Francisco shut out the Lumberjacks Saturday afternoon at Golden Gate Park. The Lumberjacks fell to 6-7 as they turn their focus to their Big Sky showdown with Sacramento State on Sunday.
The match was delayed by two hours due to the Lumberjacks' late arrival into San Francisco due to the winter storm that hit Flagstaff. When the match started, the Dons jumped on the Lumberjacks early by winning the doubles point behind victories at No. 1 and 2. Seniors Alice Pacaut and Malia Wahinepio, who entered Saturday with an eight-match winning streak, was on their way to a potential ninth straight victory when the doubles point was decided as they were leading USF's Brooke Irish and Marina Nikolic.
NAU could not gain any traction in singles play as San Francisco swept through all six singles matches. Five of the six matches were decided in straight sets. Senior Nicole Perez was the only Lumberjack who played a three-set match as she defeated Yurie Hashiguchi in the first set. However, Hashiguchi bounced back to win the final two sets to complete the Dons' 7-0 win.
The Lumberjacks aim to bounce back on Sunday when they play Sacramento State at 1 p.m. The Hornets, 1-7 this season after a 7-0 loss to No. 49 Saint Mary's on Friday, has won the last 11 Big Sky championships and has won their last 93 conference matches.
2. Milica Hadzi-Tanovic/Yurie Hashiguchi (USF) def. Ghizelene Doballah/Nicole Perez (NAU), 8-1
3. Alice Pacaut/Malia Wahinepio (NAU) vs. Brooke Irish/Marina Nikolic (USF), unfinished (NAU leading 6-5)
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (2, 1)
1. Ka (USF) def. Doballah (NAU), 6-0, 6-0
2. Holmberg (USF) def. Stone (NAU), 6-4, 6-4**
3. Hadzi-Tanovic (USF) def. Vang (NAU), 6-2, 7-5
4. Irish (USF) def. Wahinepio (NAU), 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
5. Nikolic (USF) def. Pacaut (NAU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Hashiguchi (USF) def. Perez (NAU), 5-7, 7-6 (7-3), 1-0 (10-5)
Order of Finish: (1, 5, 2, 3, 4, 6)