LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis won the doubles point and proceeded to win four of the six singles matches in defeating Colorado State on Saturday, 5-2. The win was a successful start to its two-match weekend in Las Cruces before it takes on host New Mexico State on Sunday. The Lumberjacks improved to 5-6 on the season with their fifth win in their last seven matches.
Seniors Alice Pacaut and Malia Wahinepio made it seven straight wins at No. 3 doubles and picked up their team-leading eighth overall doubles victory to get the match started on Saturday. Pacaut and Wahinepio won easily, defeating Kendall Heitzner and Lauren Pick by an 8-3 score. Sophomores Hannah Stone and Johanna Vang clinched the doubles point for NAU with their own 8-3 victory at No. 1 over Natalie Heffron and Adriana Wojakowska. The Rams would win at No. 2 to wrap up doubles play but the damage was done as the Lumberjacks took the lead in the match.
Pacaut and senior Nicole Perez got the Lumberjacks rolling in singles play and immediately put them ahead 3-0 in the match with a pair of decisive wins at No. 4 and 5. Both Pacaut and Perez both notched straight-set, 6-0, 6-0, victories without dropping a set with each picking up their team-leading seventh victories of the season. Perez in particular extended her personal win streak to seven matches which is the second-longest of her career.
Junior Tatum Rochin, making her spring and Lumberjack debut after transferring from Pima Community College, followed with her first NAU victory to give the Lumberjacks the requisite fourth point to win the match. Rochin, playing at No. 6 singles, defeated Lauren Pick, 6-0, 6-3. Colorado State won two of the final three matches for its two team points, but Stone won her third consecutive match, battling back from a first set loss to win in three sets over Abby Stevens.
NAU will play New Mexico State, who is 1-6 and has lost five straight matches, on Sunday at the Aggie Tennis Center. The match will start at 10 a.m.
1. Hannah Stone/Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Natalie Heffron/Adriana Wojakowska (CSU), 8-3*
2. Mollie Cooper/Abby Stevens (CSU) def. Ghizelene Doballah/Nicole Perez (NAU), 8-5
3. Alice Pacaut/Malia Wahinepio (NAU) def. Kendall Heitzner/Lauren Pick (CSU), 8-3
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (3, 1, 2)
1. Heffron (CSU) def. Doballah (NAU), 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Stone (NAU) def. Stevens (CSU), 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Heitzner (CSU) def. Wahinepio (NAU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Pacaut (NAU) def. Wojakowska (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Perez (NAU) def. Cooper (CSU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Tatum Rochin (NAU) def. Pick (CSU), 6-0, 6-3**
Order of Finish: (4, 5, 6, 3, 2, 1)