Women's Tennis Drops 7-0 Match to No. 30 Washington State
PULLMAN, Wash. – The Northern Arizona women's team began its three-match road swing in Washington on Friday by taking on No. 30 Washington State, but fell to the Cougars, 7-0, in the Hollingbery Fieldhouse. The loss dropped the Lumberjacks' record to 7-11 this spring, but seven of those losses have come against top-75 competition in the ITA rankings.
The Cougars' Elizaveta Luzina and Liudmila Vasilieva jumped out early by taking the No. 2 doubles match, 8-2, over freshmen Hannah Stone and Johanna Vang, giving the home team the quick advantage in doubles play. Despite the loss at No. 2, the Lumberjacks battled in the other two doubles matches, playing the Cougars even through the first six games at No. 1 and leading 4-3 at No. 3.
But Elisabeth Fournier and Charlotte Koning turned the tables on juniors Alice Pacaut and Nicole Perez at No. 3, erasing the 4-3 deficit and stealing the match 8-4 to clinch the doubles point in Washington State's favor. The Cougars then went on to take the match at No. 1 to sweep doubles play.
Led by two nationally-ranked singles players at the top of their lineup, the Cougars then proceeded to sweep through singles play. Washington State won at No. 3 and 4 to kick off singles and clinched the team match when Vasilieva, the country's No. 48 ranked singles player, defeated junior Ghizelene Doballah at No. 1. Stone on the other hand, appeared on her way to an upset of Washington State's other ranked played, Fournier, at the second singles spot when she took the first set. Fournier, ranked No. 125 in the country, though responded with a second set victory and then took the third set to deny Stone's upset bid.
The Lumberjacks will head just a little north to Spokane, Wash. for their second match of the weekend on Saturday where they'll look to bounce back against Gonzaga at 9 a.m.
1. Ksenia Googe/Andjela Kankaras (WSU) def. Ghizelene Doballah/Malia Wahinepio (NAU), 8-5
2. Elizaveta Luzina/Liudmila Vasilieva (WSU) def. Hannah Stone/Johanna Vang (NAU), 8-2
3. Elisabeth Fournier/Charlotte Koning (WSU) def. Alice Pacaut/Nicole Perez (NAU), 8-4*
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (2, 3, 1)
1. Vasilieva (WSU) def. Doballah (NAU), 6-0, 6-1**
2. Fournier (WSU) def. Stone (NAU), 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-2)
3. Googe (WSU) def. Wahinepio (NAU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Kankaras (WSU) def. Vang (NAU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Luzina (WSU) def. Perez (NAU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Koning (WSU) def. Pacaut (NAU), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: (4, 3, 1, 2, 5, 6)