TEMPE, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team could not extend its winning streak to three on Monday as they fell to No. 72 Oregon, 6-1, at the Whiteman Tennis Center on the Arizona State campus. Preceded by two conference wins over the weekend, the Lumberjacks still finished with a 2-1 record over the last four days of competition and are now 7-10 this spring.
The Lumberjacks dropped the doubles point to begin the match as the Ducks swept through all three doubles matches. The nationally-ranked Ducks then proceeded to win the first four singles matches at No. 2, 3, 1 and 5 to clinch the victory.
Junior Alice Pacaut got the Lumberjacks on the scoreboard for the team's lone point on the day courtesy of her three-set win at No. 6. Pacaut and Oregon's Lana Buttner split the first two sets, with Pacaut taking the first and Buttner taking the second, before Pacaut pulled off the win with a super tiebreaker victory in the third set, 10-3. The Ducks would then wrap up the day with a win at No. 4 despite freshman Johanna Vang forcing a tiebreak situation in the second set.
Pacaut won her second consecutive singles match after earning a win at No. 6 on Saturday against Montana State and now has eight singles victories, putting her in a tie with Vang for the team-lead.
The Lumberjacks have this week off and will play three matches in three days in the state of Washington beginning April 6 at No. 38 Washington State, before taking on Gonzaga and Big Sky foe Eastern Washington.
2. Trudie du Toit/Julia Metzger (UO) def. Hannah Stone/Johanna Vang (NAU), 8-1*
3. Pascale Neubert/Rabea Stueckemann (UO) def. Alice Pacaut/Nicole Perez (NAU), 8-3
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (3, 2, 1)
1. Metzger (UO) def. Doballah (NAU), 6-2, 6-3**
2. Skowronski (UO) def. Stone (NAU), 6-1, 6-2
3. du Toit (UO) def. Wahinepio (NAU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Hager (UO) def. Vang (NAU), 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Neubert (UO) def. Perez (NAU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Pacaut (NAU) def. Lana Buttner (UO), 6-1, 4-6, 10-3
Order of Finish: (2, 3, 1, 5, 6, 4)