FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team got a doubles win from freshmen Hannah Stone and Johanna Vang, but they dropped the other two doubles matches as well as all six singles matches in a 7-0 loss to No. 65 Akron on Monday at Continental Country Club. The Lumberjacks finished the weekend at 1-1 and will now have 11 days off until their next match, sitting at 5-9 overall.
"It was a disappointing day," said director of tennis Kim Bruno. "We're going to have to find the piece to the puzzle to why we can play one good match per weekend. We played well at No. 1 doubles and great at No. 2, but overall we didn't have a team effort. I expected more after a great win (on Saturday), but unfortunately we played a good team and we didn't show up to how we needed to play."
Akron claimed the first completed doubles at No. 3 and then clinched the doubles point with a win at No. 1 despite strong play by juniors Ghizelene Doballah and Malia Wahinepio. The Zips' top doubles pair of Zara Harutyunyan and Prang Pantusart entered Monday at 12-0 and ranked No. 53 in the nation, but Doballah and Wahinepio played them close before falling narrowly, 8-6.
Stone and Vang wrapped up doubles play with NAU's only win on the day, defeating Angelika Jogasuria and Natalia Kuvakina, 8-5, for their eighth win as a pair this spring, tied for second-most in the Big Sky.
After taking the doubles point, the Zips swept through singles play with wins at all six positions in straight sets.
The Lumberjacks next play on March 23 against Montana as they return to conference play with a 3-1 conference record.
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Prang Pantusart (UA) def. Ghizelene Doballah/Malia Wahinepio (NAU), 8-6*
2. Hannah Stone/Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Angelika Jogasuria/Natalia Kuvakina (UA), 8-5
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (3, 1, 2)
1. Harutyunyan (UA) def. Doballah (NAU), 6-4, 6-3**
2. Pantusart (UA) def. Stone (NAU), 6-1, 6-0
3. Angelina Jogasuria (UA) def. Wahinepio (NAU), 6-2, 6-3
4. Angelika Jogasuria (UA) def. Vang (NAU), 6-4, 6-3
5. Ksenia Berestetska (UA) def. Perez (NAU), 7-5, 6-1
6. Kuvakina (UA) def. Pacaut (NAU), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: (2, 3, 1, 4, 6, 5)