FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – For just the second time in school history, the Northern Arizona women's tennis team defeated New Mexico, 6-1 on Saturday at Continental Country Club. The Lumberjacks earned their first home win of the season and snapped their losing streak at three in the process and moved to 5-8 overall this spring.
"This is only the second time in history we've beaten New Mexico," said director of tennis Kim Bruno. "It feels great. I told the girls that I knew if we played together as a team, we'd get the job done. We've been right there all season; a couple of girls would play well and a couple girls wouldn't. We all played the way we needed to today and a 6-1 win over this team is huge for us."
Freshmen Hannah Stone and Johanna Vang snapped their personal two-match losing skid and gave the Lumberjacks a win at No. 2 doubles to start the day. The Lobos would even doubles play with a win at No. 1, but junior Alice Pacaut and Nicole Perez came through with an 8-4 win over Nikolina Grbac and Michaela Oldani at No. 3 to put the Lumberjacks on the scoreboard heading into singles play.
Junior Malia Wahinepio gave the Lumberjacks a 2-0 lead with her singles win at No. 3, but New Mexico's Michaela Bezdickova defeated junior Ghizelene Doballah at No. 1 to slice the Lobo deficit in half.
With the match at 2-1 in NAU's favor, the freshmen duo clinched the match for the Lumberjacks with wins at No. 4 and 2. Vang defeated Kristin Eggleston for her team-leading seventh singles win, while Stone earned her sixth singles win to snap her own three-match losing streak. Perez and Pacaut capped off the Lumberjack win with victories at No. 5 and 6 respectively.
The Lumberjacks will next play on Monday back at Continental Country Club against No. 65 Akron. Doubles play will begin at 12 p.m.
1. Michaela Bezdickova/Alyssa Caffey (UNM) def. Ghizelene Doballah/Malia Wahinepio (NAU), 9-8 (7-4)
2. Hannah Stone/Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Kristin Eggleston/Maria Sablina (UNM), 8-5
3. Alice Pacaut/Nicole Perez (NAU) def. Nikolina Grbac/Michaela Oldani (UNM), 8-4*
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (2, 1, 3)
1. Bezdickova (UNM) def. Doballah (NAU), 6-4, 6-0
2. Stone (NAU) def. Susanna Kuuttila (UNM), 7-6 (7-4), 6-1**
3. Wahinepio (NAU) def. Sablina (UNM), 6-4, 6-2
4. Vang (NAU) def. Eggleston (UNM), 7-5, 6-4
5. Perez (NAU) def. Katie Wookey (UNM), 6-2, 6-2
6. Pacaut (NAU) def. Grbac (UNM), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: (3, 1, 4, 2, 5, 6)