Women's Tennis Loses to Nevada; Sunday's Home Match Now at 12 p.m.
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team dropped their second match in a row, 6-1 to Nevada on Saturday, despite two wins from junior Alice Pacaut. The Lumberjacks could not come away with a split in their two-match visit to the Fertitta Tennis Complex and fell to 4-7 this season.
Pacaut teamed with freshman Hannah Stone for the first time this season in doubles play, and the Lumberjack duo earned an 8-6 victory at No. 2 over the Wolfpack's Gabriela Eufrasio and Sophie Stevens. The Wolfpack got a win at No. 1, but despite a hard fought effort by juniors Ghizelene Doballah and Alice Walker, the Lumberjacks could not come away with the necessary win at No. 3 to clinch the early 1-0 advantage in the match.
Pacaut was NAU's bright spot during singles play as well, claiming the Lumberjacks' lone singles win of the day at No. 5. Her straight-set 7-5, 6-3 win over Nevada's Rymma Maslova was her fifth of the season, tying her with Doballah, Stone and freshman Johanna Vang for the team-lead.
Aside from Pacaut, junior Malia Wahinepio and Walker almost claimed victories at No. 3 and No. 6, rallying to win the second set in each of their respective matches after dropping the first, only to fall in three sets.
Despite the loss, the Lumberjacks are still unbeaten in the Big Sky at 3-0 and will take their unblemished conference mark into Sunday's match against 10-time defending Big Sky champion Sacramento State. The No. 72 Hornets, also 3-0 in the conference, are coming off two losses this weekend to nationally-ranked Arizona State and Arizona.
The match will be the Lumberjacks' first home match of the season. Originally scheduled for 11 a.m., the match will now start at 12 p.m. with doubles play to accommodate for warmer temperatures at Continental Country Club.
1. Juliette Legendre/Michelle Okhremchuk (UNR) def. Nicole Perez/Malia Wahinepio (NAU), 8-3
2. Alice Pacaut/Hannah Stone (NAU) def. Gabriela Eufrasio/Sophie Stevens (UNR), 8-6
3. Rymma Maslova/Emma Verberne (UNR) def. Ghizelene Doballah/Alice Walker (NAU), 8-6
Order of Finish: (N/A)
1. Okhremchuk (UNR) def. Doballah (NAU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Verberne (UNR) def. Stone (NAU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Stevens (UNR) def. Wahinepio (NAU), 6-3, 1-6, 6-4
4. Legendre (UNR) def. Perez (NAU), 6-1, 6-3
5. Pacaut (NAU) def. Maslova (UNR), 7-5, 6-3
6. Faith Bassiouny (UNR) def. Walker (NAU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
Order of Finish: (N/A)