PHOENIX, Ariz. — After the first day of action at the Phoenix Tennis Center, the Northern Arizona University Men's Tennis team took the courts to practice and prepare for Friday's semifinals. As the No. 1 seed, the NAU squad received the first-round bye and did not compete today.
The quarterfinal matches took place between No. 3 Sacramento State vs. No. 6 Montana State and No. 4 Montana vs. No. 5 Idaho State. The Sacramento State Hornets and the Montana Grizzlies advanced to the semifinals. Sac State will face the Idaho Vandals Friday, April 28, while Montana will take on the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks.
"We had a great practice today and the guys are feeling good," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll said. "Tomorrow, we are just looking for a good effort from everyone against a very good Montana team."
Northern Arizona last competed against Montana in their first conference match early March where the Lumberjacks won 4-3. NAU won the doubles point and went on to clinch the match with wins from Tim Handel, Sebastian Eguez and Lucas Taylor. This morning, the Grizzlies beat Idaho State 4-0 after a dominating performance and leading on all unfinished courts before clinching.
The match between the No. 1 Northern Arizona Lumberjacks and the No. 4 University of Montana teams is set for Friday, April 28 at 9 a.m. and will be held at the Phoenix Tennis Center.
- Sophomore Tim Handel was No. 13 in the ITA Mountain Region in the January 4 Rankings
- Northern Arizona has had three Big Sky Players of the Week in Handel, Lucas Taylor and Ruben Montano
- Handel led the Lumberjacks in singles wins with 16 overall and 11 in conference
- In doubles, Handel and Montano led the 'Jacks with 13 overall wins, the only duo in double digits
- Handel is the only Lumberjack to go undefeated in conference in both singles and doubles this season
Follow the Action
Live Twitter results: @NAUMensTennis
Match recaps: www.nauathletics.com
Friday, April 28
No. 4 Montana vs. No. 1 Northern Arizona - 9 a.m.
No. 3 Sacramento State vs. No. 2 Idaho - 10:30 a.m.
Saturday, April 29
Winners of Semifinals - 10 a.m.