FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — The Northern Arizona Men's Tennis team swept Portland State 7-0 to defend their undefeated home winning streak. The Lumberjacks increased to 12-7 overall and remain in first place at 7-1 in conference. The 'Jacks have just one more home match left this season against Eastern Washington.
"I'm proud of the men for going after it today," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll. "We came out strong in doubles and dominated in singles."
In doubles, the Lumberjacks overpowered the Vikings, winning 6-1, 6-2. Lucas Taylor and Thomas Fisher started off with a 6-1 win on court three over PSU's Ethan Lopez and Sam Larson. Then Sebastian Eguez and Felix Schumann clinched the doubles point after a 6-2 win on court two. NAU's doubles leaders Tim Handel and Ruben Montano were leading the Vikings 5-3 on court one before the point was clinched. Overall, the Lumberjacks have garnered 27 doubles wins and have been dominating with this season's new pairs.
Northern Arizona continued their momentum winning on every court in singles. To start, Schumann and Montano picked up wins for the 'Jacks on courts four and five to put them up 3-0. The Vikings could not respond to the 'Jacks and were unable to get a lead over the blue and gold. On court two, Taylor took on PSU's Tommy Edwards winning 6-2, 6-1 to the clinch the match at 4-0 and give NAU their seventh conference victory. It didn't stop there for the Lumberjacks as David Nguyen, Handel and Eguez added to the win total to garner the team's third 7-0 sweep this season.
"We need to now focus on Eastern Washington," said Kroll. "This will be an important match for us as far as standings are concerned."
Northern Arizona will continue the weekend against the Eastern Washington Eagles, who are right behind the first-place Lumberjacks at 6-1. The Lumberjacks will host for the final time this season Sunday, April 9 at 11 a.m. The match will be held in the Aquatic and Tennis Complex and is free for all who attend.
- Tim Handel/Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Nathan Boniel/Tommy Edwards (PSU) DNF
- Sebastian Eguez/Felix Schumann (NAU) def. Scott Goldner/Yousef Abdo (PSU) 6-2
- Lucas Taylor/Thomas Fisher (NAU) def. Ethan Lopez/Sam Larson (PSU) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- Tim Handel (NAU) def. Nathan Boniel (PSU) 6-2, 6-4
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Tommy Edwards (PSU) 6-2, 6-1
- Sebastian Eguez (NAU) def. Scott Goldner (PSU) 7-6(5), 6-2, 10-5
- Felix Schumann (NAU) def. Ethan Lopez (PSU) 6-1, 6-1
- Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Yousef Abdo (PSU) 6-1, 6-2
- David Nguyen (NAU) def. Sam Larson (PSU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2*, 6, 1, 3