SACRAMENTO, Calif. — After winning six straight matches, the NAU Men's Tennis team fell to Sacramento State 6-1, breaking the Lumberjacks undefeated conference record. The 'Jacks narrowly remain in first place in the Big Sky at 6-1 while Sac State increases to 6-2. The Lumberjacks are now 11-7 overall going into their final four matches.
The Hornets came out strong in doubles against the Lumberjacks, both teams picking up wins before Sacramento clinched the doubles point 6-4 on court three. Doubles pair Ruben Montano and Tim Handel picked up the only win for Northern Arizona, remaining undefeated at 9-0. The Lumberjacks have not lost in doubles in over two weeks.
In singles, the Lumberjacks struggled to come back losing on courts four and six. With the score 3-0, Handel was able to put up a point for the 'Jacks over Mikus Losbergs winning 6-4, 7-6(5) on court one. Sacramento then clinched the match besting NAU's Sebastian Eguez 6-1, 6-4 in sets two and three. The Hornets went on to sweep the rest of the match winning 6-1 at home.
Northern Arizona will have a full week of practice before hosting Portland State Saturday, April 8 and Eastern Washington Sunday, April 9. Both matches are set for 10 a.m. and will be held at the Aquatic and Tennis Complex.
- Mikus Losbergs/Kasparas Zemaitelis (SAC) def. Sebastian Eguez/Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-2
- Tim Handel/Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Hermont Legaspi/Donald Hall (SAC) 6-2
- Christopher Clayton/Dom Miller (SAC) def. Lucas Taylor/Thomas Fisher (NAU) 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
- Tim Handel (NAU) def. Mikus Losbergs (SAC) 6-4, 7-6(5)
- Dom Miller (SAC) def. Lucas Taylor (NAU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
- Kasparas Zemaitelis (SAC) def. Sebastian Eguez (NAU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Louis Chabut (SAC) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
- Christopher Clayton (SAC) def. Ruben Montano (NAU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
- Hermont Legaspi (SAC) def. David Nguyen (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 1, 3*, 2, 5