RENO, Nev. — In their sixth straight win, the NAU Men's Tennis team faced the University of Nevada, Reno early Saturday, April 1 in a hard-fought 4-2 victory. The Lumberjacks increase to 11-6 overall and remain 6-0 in conference.
"Overall, it was a well fought match," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll said. "At the start, the men came out strong in doubles bringing high energy."
Doubles pair Ruben Montano and Tim Handel still lead the 'Jacks, picking up their eighth straight win and remaining undefeated. Lucas Taylor and Thomas Fisher also garnered a victory, picking up a 6-3 win to clinch the doubles point and put the Lumberjacks up by one going into singles. Overall, Northern Arizona has won 23 doubles wins and has been consistently matched-up throughout the season.
"We continued through singles pulling out a very good win for us," said Kroll.
In singles, the Wolf Pack almost immediately tied it up 1-1 with freshman Kostya Nesterenko overcoming Felix Schumann 6-3, 6-2 on court four. The two teams went back and forth as Taylor put the 'Jacks back in the lead, but not after Nevada's Julien Evrard beat No. 13 Handel to tie it up again. With the score now 2-2, the Lumberjacks were able to take the lead again and shortly after clinch the match 4-2 with wins from Montano and David Nguyen, on courts five and six, respectively.
Northern Arizona will remain on the road to face Sacramento State Sunday, April 2. The Lumberjacks are set to compete at 11 a.m. against the Hornets.
- Sebastian Eguez/Felix Schumann (NAU) vs. Julien Evrard/Augustin Delahodde (UNR) DNF
- Tim Handel/Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Peter O'Donovan/Sandro Lena (UNR) 6-1
- Lucas Taylor/Thomas Fisher (NAU) def. Mile Cilic/Kostya Nesterenko (UNR) 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
- Julien Evrard (UNR) def. Tim Handel (NAU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-1
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Robert Marqitfalvi (UNR) 6-4, 6-2
- Sebastian Eguez (NAU) vs. Mile Cilic (UNR) DNF
- Kostya Nesterenko (UNR) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-3, 6-2
- Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Augustin Delahodde (UNR) 6-4, 6-3
- David Nguyen (NAU) def. Peter O'Donovan (UNR) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 1, 5, 6*, 3