FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — The NAU Men's Tennis team swept the Idaho State Bengals 7-0 to pick up their 10th win of the season. The Lumberjacks increase to 10-6 overall and 6-0 in conference. The 'Jacks remain the only undefeated team in the Big Sky and, on a four-match winning streak, remain undefeated at home.
"We were able to dominate in doubles, giving us momentum going into singles," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll said.
The Lumberjacks came out with power, winning doubles 6-3, 6-1 over Idaho State. To start, Lucas Taylor and Thomas Fisher paired to beat Quentin Wacquez and Francis Filipovich. Undefeated sophomore pair Tim Handel and Ruben Montano then clinched the doubles point to remain in the lead for the 'Jacks with seven wins so far this season. Northern Arizona has won 21 doubles matches overall and 11 in conference.
In singles, Lucas Taylor picked up the first win for the 'Jacks 6-3, 6-2 over ISU's Josh Goodwin. Northern Arizona did not let up, winning on the next two courts and clinching the match at 4-0 with wins for Felix Schumann and Ruben Montano. In conference, Montano is 5-1 in singles closely behind Handel, who leads the Lumberjacks at 6-0. The Lumberjacks won on the next three courts to sweep the board 7-0.
"We are in a good spot and I'm looking forward to seeing how much the men continue to improve," said Kroll. "I'm proud of how well they played today."
Northern Arizona will travel to face non-conference opponent Nevada and Sacramento State. The Lumberjacks compete against the Nevada Wolf Pack April 1 before then taking on the Sac State Hornets the following day. Both matches will be held at 11 a.m.
- Sebastian Eguez/Felix Schumann (NAU) vs. Sebastian Edin/Josh Goodwin (ISU) DNF
- Tim Handel/Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Bjorn Scheepbouwer/Keegan Sullivan (ISU) 6-1
- Lucas Taylor/Thomas Fisher (NAU) def. Quentin Wacquez/Francis Filipovich (ISU) 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- Tim Handel (NAU) def. Quentin Wacquez (ISU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Josh Goodwin (ISU) 6-3, 6-2
- Sebastian Eguez (NAU) def. Francis Filipovich (ISU) 6-1, 7-6(4)
- Felix Schumann (NAU) def. Bjorn Scheepbouwer (ISU) 6-4, 6-4
- Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Haseeb Khan (ISU) 6-3, 6-2
- David Nguyen (NAU) def. Keegan Sullivan (ISU) 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5*, 3, 6, 1