FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — In their second weekend at home, the NAU Men's Tennis team hosted the Weber State Wildcats to remain undefeated at home and increase to a 5-0 first place conference record. After losing the doubles point, the Lumberjacks came back to beat the Wildcats 4-3. Northern Arizona is now 9-6 overall.
"Despite not getting the doubles point, the men played very well against a strong Weber State team," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll.
The Wildcats came out aggressive in doubles, winning on courts one and three. Weber State clinched the doubles point 7-6, 6-2 to give them an early lead in the match. NAU's pair Tim Handel and Ruben Montano were the only Lumberjacks to win their doubles match with a score of 6-4 over WSU's Michiel van Schoor and Kris van Wyk. The pair has garnered six wins in blue and gold and remain undefeated together.
To start singles, NAU's Handel tied it up 1-1 after overcoming Stefan Cooper 6-2, 6-2 on court one. The sophomore remains the leader in singles for the 'Jacks accumulating his 10th win so far this season and fifth in conference. The score alternated from NAU to Weber State throughout the match with wins from Lucas Taylor and David Nguyen. After Nguyen's win, the Lumberjacks took the lead for the first time in the match at 3-2. Courts five and three were the last two remaining and NAU was just one point shy of another conference win. On court five, Montano and Van Schoor were going at before deciding the match in a tiebreak. Montano hung on to the lead to win 11-9 and clinch the match for NAU. Court three continued play, with Weber State garnering their final point over Sebastian Eguez. The final score was 4-3 against the Wildcats.
"I'm very proud of the way the men fought back today," said Kroll. "We need to continue to be aggressive, especially going into tomorrow's matchup."
Northern Arizona will continue play Sunday, March 26 against Idaho State at 10 a.m. The 'Jacks will have to defend their undefeated home record for the second time this weekend. The match will be held in the Aquatic and Tennis Complex and is free for all who attend. Free T-shirts will be given to NAU students!
- Stefan Cooper/Shao-Po Yin (WSU) def. Sebastian Eguez/Felix Schumann (NAU) 7-6(5)
- Tim Handel/Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Michiel van Schoor/Kris van Wyk (WSU) 6-4
- Hou-En Chen/Cezary Walkusz (WSU) def. Lucas Taylor/David Nguyen (NAU) 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- Tim Handel (NAU) def. Stefan Cooper (WSU) 6-2, 6-2
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Shao-Po Yin (WSU) 6-3, 6-2
- Kris van Wyk (WSU) def. Sebastian Eguez (NAU) 7-6(9), 6-1, 10-6
- Hou-En Chen (WSU) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-2, 6-3
- Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Michiel van Schoor (WSU) 6-3, 7-6 (11-9)
- David Nguyen (NAU) def. Cezary Walkusz (WSU) 6-0, 7-6(4)
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2, 6, 5*, 3