COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — In their first sweep of the season, the Northern Arizona University Men's Tennis team bested Seattle University 7-0 in their third overall win. The Lumberjacks are now 3-4 and will finally start conference play this upcoming weekend.
"We came out strong in doubles, which gave us a lot of momentum going into singles," said Director of Tennis Ki Kroll. "Everybody fought hard today, and kept their focus."
Northern Arizona swept in doubles winning on both court two and three 6-1 and forcing court one to retire early with the 'Jacks in the lead at 4-1. NAU's teams were new in doubles with Lucas Taylor and Sebastian Eguez on court one, Ruben Montano and Tim Handel on court two and Felix Schumann and Thomas Fisher on court three. Head coach Kroll wanted to switch it up before conference to see what the Lumberjacks could bring, and they proved to overpower the Redhawks.
In singles, the Lumberjacks started off with No. 13 Handel's 6-0, 6-0 sweep over SU's Arshak Ghazaryan. With the score 2-0, Northern Arizona continued to dominate on all courts. Taylor then pushed NAU up 3-0 on court three with a 6-0, 6-4 win over Michael Schoettler. The Lumberjacks clinched the match at 4-0 and went on to sweep the next three following matches. NAU ended with freshmen David Nguyen who made his NAU debut this season in singles with an impressive 6-1, 6-3 win over SU's freshmen Alex Chan.
"I'm very happy with where we are right now going into conference play next week," said Kroll.
After seven non-conference road matches the 'Jacks will finally start conference against Montana and Montana State. The Lumberjacks have a full week of practice before their first match against the Montana Grizzlies March 3. Match time is set for 10 a.m. The Montana State Bobcats will then host the Lumberjacks March 5 at 10 a.m.
- Sebastian Eguez/Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Arshak Ghazaryan/Matt Alderson (SU) unfinished
- Tim Handel/Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Michael Schoettler/John Stormans (SU) 6-1
- Thomas Fisher/Felix Schumann (NAU) def. Trenton Nield/Adrian Sanabria (SU) 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
- Tim Handel (NAU) def. Arshak Ghazaryan (SU) 6-0, 6-0
- Felix Schumann (NAU) def. Trenton Nield (SU) 6-1, 6-4
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Michael Schoettler (SU) 6-0, 6-4
- Ruben Montano (NAU) def. John Stormans (SU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-6
- Thomas Fisher (NAU) def. Matt Alderson (SU) 6-2, 6-1
- David Nguyen (NAU) def. Alex Chan (SU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2*, 4, 6, 5