SAN DIEGO, Calif. — The NAU Men's Tennis team dropped another tough match, losing to San Diego State 6-1. The Lumberjacks are now 0-3 this season after losing to BYU and Utah this past weekend.
"The team fought hard today against a strong team," said Director of Tennis Ki Kroll.
San Diego State dominated from the beginning winning the doubles point after a 6-3 victory on court three and a 6-2 win on court one. The Aztecs continued to best the Lumberjacks winning the next two singles matches putting the score at 3-0. San Diego State did not go uncontested and the Lumberjacks won their lone point with Lucas Taylor's win over No. 16 sophomore Sander Gjoels-Andersen.
"I was very impressed by Lucas," said Kroll. "He really stepped it up against a very tough opponent."
NAU lost the next three singles matches and the match to a very strong non-conference opponent. The Lumberjacks fought hard throughout the day, but could not get the victory.
Northern Arizona will remain in California to take on UC Irvine Sunday, Feb. 12 at 1 p.m.
- Marko Goles-Babic/Sander Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU) def. Ruben Montano/Sebastian Eguez (NAU) 6-2
- Milen Ianakiev/Santiago Cevallos (SDSU) def. Lucas Taylor/Tim Handel (NAU) unfinished
- Rafael Gonzalez-Almazan/Joel Popov (SDSU) def. David Nguyen/Thomas Fisher (NAU) 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1
- Milen Ianakiev (SDSU) def. Tim Handel (NAU) 6-4, 6-4
- Marko Goles-Babic (SDSU) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-2, 6-1
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Sander Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
- Santiago Cevallos (SDSU) def. Sebastian Eguez (NAU) 6-2, 6-3
- Joel Popov (SDSU) def. Ruben Montano (NAU) 7-6(4), 6-1
- Rafael Gonzalez-Almazan (SDSU) def. Thomas Fisher (NAU) 6-1, 1-6, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 3, 6*, 1, 5