SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — After a close match against Brigham Young University Saturday, the NAU Men's Tennis team dropped their second loss of the season to Utah with a final score of 5-1. It was a tough matchup between the two opponents, but the Lumberjacks come out of the weekend 0-2.
"It was a tough loss today," said Director of Tennis Ki Kroll. "They were a very good team."
Utah took the lead right from the beginning winning in doubles and carrying their momentum throughout the morning. The Lumberjacks struggled to gain the edge over the Utes.
"I think we're competing pretty well," said Kroll. "We will definitely have to keep working hard."
Northern Arizona did not go down without contesting some of Utah's top players. The Lumberjacks put up some points in their individual sets; however, Utah swept the first four singles matches to put them at a 5-0 lead. NAU ended the match with Lucas Taylor receiving the lone point for NAU over Utah's Peter McGuinness putting the score at 5-1.
Northern Arizona will remain on the road next weekend to face San Diego State and UC Irvine. The Lumberjacks take on the Aztecs Feb. 10 at 2:30 p.m. and the Anteaters Feb. 12 at 1 p.m.
- Joe Woolley/Dan Little (UTAH) def. Ruben Montano/Sebastian Eguez (NAU) 5-4
- Egbert Weverink/David Micevski (UTAH) def. Lucas Taylor/Tim Handel (NAU) 6-4
- Azat Hankuliyev/Svyatoslav Shainyan (UTAH) def. Felix Schumann/Thomas Fisher (NAU) 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- David Micevski (UTAH) def. Tim Handel (NAU) 6-2, 6-0
- Dan Little (UTAH) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-0, 6-3
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Parker Guinness (UTAH) 7-5
- Joe Woolley (UTAH) def. Sebastian Eguez (NAU) 6-0, 6-3
- Svyatoslav Shainyan (UTAH) def. Ruben Montano (NAU) 6-7, 7-6, (10-7)
- Egbert Weverink (UTAH) def. Thomas Fisher (NAU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 4*, 1, 3, 5