PROVO, Utah – The Northern Arizona University men's tennis team fell to No. 61 Brigham Young University with a final score of 2-4 in their first match of the season. The Lumberjacks are now 0-1 before taking on Utah Sunday, Feb. 5.
"For our first match out, the team competed very well," said Director of Tennis Ki Kroll. "I was impressed with our three doubles teams."
Although the Lumberjacks did not win the point in doubles, Northern Arizona did not go down without a fight. All three matches were close matchups between the 'Jacks and the Cougars. Lucas Taylor and No. 13 Tim Handel paired for NAU's only win in doubles on court two with a score of 6-4 against BYU's Jeremy Bourgeois and Matthew Pearce.
"Each match was very close and today could have went either way," said Kroll.
On the singles end, BYU started with two more wins against Handel and Taylor before NAU was able to get on the board after Felix Schumann's 3-6, 7-6 (9), 6-2 win over the Cougars' Bourgeois. With the score 3-1, Sebastian Eguez was able to get another win for NAU. BYU clinched the match shortly after in a 6-4, 6-2 win over Ruben Montano.
"[Felix] Schumann and [Sebastian] Eguez really stepped it up today, fighting off match points," said Kroll. "If we continue to be as intense and committed as we were today, we can only get better."
Northern Arizona will remain on the road to take on the University of Utah Sunday, Feb. 5 at 9 a.m. MST.
- Jacob Sullivan/John Pearce (BYU) def. Ruben Montano/Sebastian Eguez (NAU) 7-5
- Lucas Taylor/Tim Handel (NAU) def. Jeremy Bourgeois/Matthew Pearce (BYU) 6-4
- Keaton Cullimore/Sam Tullis (BYU) def. Felix Schumann/Thomas Fisher (NAU) 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
- Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Tim Handel (NAU) 6-4, 6-4
- Felix Schumann (NAU) def. Jeremy Bourgeois (BYU) 3-6, 7-6 (9), 6-2
- Matthew Pearce (BYU) def. Lucas Taylor (NAU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
- Sebastian Eguez (NAU) def. Jake Sullivan (BYU) 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (5)
- John Pearce (BYU) def. Ruben Montano (NAU) 6-4, 6-2
- Thomas Fisher (NAU) def. Sam Tullis (BYU) 6-5 unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2, 4, 5*