CHENEY, Wash. – In their quest to make the Big Sky Championships, the Northern Arizona men's tennis team had a huge 4-3 win over Eastern Washington to improve to 10-8 on the season and 5-3 in the Big Sky.
"Very tough match today," said head coach Ki Kroll. "I can't say enough about our fighting spirit, especially Trevor's effort to clinch the win for us."
Trevor Unger sealed the win for the Lumberjacks on the No. 5 court against Eastern Washington's Wacil Bendjelti in a tough three-set match. After dropping the first set 7-5, Unger battled back and responded with a 6-4 win in the second set and a 7-6 win in the third set to pick up the victory for NAU.
In a close battle the doubles point is always key and the Lumberjacks capitalized by coming away with the doubles point to give NAU the early 1-0 lead. As the No. 2 team, Alexandre Locci and Jordan Gobatie got the Lumberjacks first win with the 8-2 win over Eduardo Bringold and Bendjelti. NAU's No. 3 team Kester Black and Alan Barrios sealed the doubles point for Northern Arizona as they grabbed the 8-4 win over Luke Ness and Rendell Burghart.
Gobatie played on the No. 2 court in singles today and got a win over Luke Thompson. Gobatie took the first set 6-3 and then he was able to finish off Thompson in the second set with the 7-6 win.
Black continues his impressive run in the Big Sky as he defeated Bendjelti at the No. 4 position. Black took the first set 6-4 and then the native of Scotland shut out Bendjelti in the second set 6-0. Black is now 5-2 in singles play during conference.
This was a critical win for Northern Arizona as Eastern Washington was right behind the Lumberjacks in the Big Sky standings. NAU will conclude its road trip tomorrow when they face Portland State.
- Fabio Tomasetti/Trevor Unger (NAU) & Robert Dula/Luke Thompson (EWU) 2-6 DNF
- Jordan Gobatie/Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Wacil Bendjelti/Eduardo Bringold (EWU) 8-2
- Alan Barrios/Kester Black (NAU) def. Luke Ness/Rendell Burghart (EWU) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
- Robert Dula (EWU) def. Alexandre Locci (NAU) 6-3, 6-3
- Jordan Gobatie (NAU) def. Luke Thompson (EWU) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
- Eduardo Bringold (EWU) def. Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 7-5, 6-4
- Kester Black (NAU) def. Wacil Bendjelti (EWU) 6-4, 6-0
- Trevor Unger (NAU) def. Stefan Farrar (EWU) 5-7, 6-4, 7-6 (3)
- Rendell Burghart (EWU) def. Alan Barrios (NAU) 7-5, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1, 2, 6, 5