NAU Takes Down Big Sky Champs Sac State 4-3
SEDONA, Ariz. – Last season, the Northern Arizona men's tennis team fell to the Big Sky Champions, Sacramento State, 4-3 in Sacramento and the roles were reversed this season in Sedona as the Lumberjacks took down the Hornets 4-3 for the Lumberjacks' final home match this season.
"Solid performance today," said head coach Ki Kroll. "It was a very good win for us and it is definitely something we can build on."
Doubles play started with senior Alan Barrios winning his final doubles match at home with Kester Black defeating Ayman Abdulwahab and Alejandro Villarreal for the Lumberjacks first win in doubles. Barrios and Black took the first point and Abdulwahab and Villarreal retired giving Barrios and Black the win. Clinching the doubles point for the Lumberjacks were Alexandre Locci and Jordan Gobatie as the No. 2 team defeating Oliver Andersen and Joaquin Marquez 8-1. That was the third straight win for Locci and Gobatie in doubles play.
Black started the Lumberjacks off in singles play grabbing the first win over the Hornets' Oliver Andersen 6-1, 6-2. That was Black's second straight win in singles play at the No. 4 position.
Barrios won by default in his last singles match at home at the No. 6 position over Ayman Abdulwahab to give NAU the 3-0 lead.
Clinching the match for the Lumberjacks was Fabio Tomasetti at the No. 3 slot with the win over Joaquin Marquez. Tomasetti took care of the Marquez in the first set 6-3 and in the second set, the native of Germany was able to win a tough 7-6 (3) second set to seal the win for the Lumberjacks.
The defending Big Sky champions fought back to take three singles matches but it was not enough as the Lumberjacks move to 9-8 this season.
The Lumberjacks are now 4-3 in the Big Sky and currently sit in sixth place in the conference. The Lumberjacks' final three matches are against Big Sky opponents who are currently seventh, eighth and 11th in the standings.
- Niranjan Ram/Roy Brandys (SAC) & Trevor Unger/Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 5-1 DNF
- Alexandre Locci/Jordan Gobatie (NAU) def. Oliver Andersen/Joaquin Marquez (SAC) 8-1
- Kester Black/Alan Barrios (NAU) def. Ayman Abdulwahab/Alejandro Villarreal (SAC) 1-0 RETIRED
Oder of Finish: 3, 2
- Roy Brandys (SAC) def. Jordan Gobatie (NAU) 7-5, 7-6
- Niranjan Ram (SAC) def. Alexandre Locci (NAU) 6-3, 7-5, 6-3
- Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) def. Joaquin Marquez (SAC) 6-3, 7-6
- Kester Black (NAU) def. Oliver Andersen (SAC) 6-1, 6-2
- Alejandro Villarreal (SAC) def. Trevor Unger (NAU) 6-4, 6-0, 10-6
- Alan Barrios (NAU) def. Ayman Abdulwahab (SAC) WON BY DEFAULT
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 3, 2, 1, 5