SEDONA, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona men's tennis faced the University of Montana in a big time conference matchup. The Griz were able to come away with five singles wins as Montana defeated Northern Arizona 6-1.
"Taking a loss at home today was disappointing," said head coach Ki Kroll. "Our ultimate goal is to make it to the conference championships and hopefully with a few more conference wins, we can achieve it."
Play started with Montana taking the doubles point with wins from the No. 1 and No. 3 teams. Northern Arizona got the first win of the match at No. 2 from Jordan Gobatie and Alexandre Locci as they were able to defeat Peter Mimnagh-Fleming and Mikolaj Caruk 8-3 for the Lumberjacks only win in doubles. Ethan Vaughn and Semion Branzburg got the win for the Griz at No. 1 against NAU's Kester Black and Fabio Tomasetti 8-4 to tie the match at 1-1. The deciding match came down to the No. 3 match against the Griz's Andrew Warren and Eric Braun and the Lumberjack's Alan Barrios and Trevor Unger and Montana was able to come away with the 8-3 win to give the Griz the doubles point.
The Griz took the momentum they created in doubles and carried it into singles play by picking up five of the six wins in singles.
The Lumberjack's lone win in singles came from Tomasetti at the No. 3 position. Tomasetti won the first set against Tomasz Soltyka 6-3 but Soltyka came back to take the second set 6-3 to force a third set. Despite dropping the second set, Tomasetti salvaged the match with a 6-2 win in the third set to come away with the win.
The Lumberjacks fall to 3-3 in conference and the men's next match will be on April 4 against in-state opponent Grand Canyon.
- Ethan Vaughn/Semion Branzburg (UM) def. Kester Black/Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 8-4
- Jordan Gobatie/Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Peter Mimnagh-Fleming/Mikolaj Caruk (UM) 8-3
- Andrew Warren/Eric Braun (UM) def. Alan Barrios/Trevor Unger (NAU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
- Mikolaj Caruk (UM) def. Alexandre Locci (NAU) 6-0, 6-0
- Andrew Warren (UM) def. Jordan Gobatie (NAU) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
- Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) def. Tomasz Soltyka (UM) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
- Semion Branzburg (UM) def. Kester Black (NAU) 7-6, 6-2
- Ethan Vaughn (UM) def. Trevor Unger (NAU) 6-2, 6-1
- Peter Mimnagh-Fleming (UM) def. Blaine Mengert (NAU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6