LAS VEGAS, Nev. – After winning three straight matches in Sedona, the Northern Arizona men's tennis team took their three match winning streak to Las Vegas for two matches this weekend beginning with Air Force. After dropping the doubles point, the Lumberjacks stormed back with four singles wins and the Lumberjacks pulled out the 4-3 victory over Air Force.
"It was a great win for us today," said head coach Ki Kroll. "Air Force is a very god team and we really stepped up our singles play to pull this one out."
After dropping the doubles point, the Lumberjacks refused to quit and won four of the six singles matches to pull out a win over Air Force who went into today's match with an 11-3 record and had won five of their last six matches. Air Force was also 3-0 this season against Big Sky Conference opponents.
Fabio Tomasetti got the Lumberjacks on the scoreboard with a win at the No. 3 position over Jack McCullers with the 6-2, 6-2 score. Kester Black followed Tomasetti's lead as Black got a 6-1, 7-6 (5) win over Alex Grubbs at the No. 4 slot. Black's win gave the Lumberjacks the lead and Northern Arizona did not look back as Trevor Unger grabbed a win at the No. 5 position. Unger pulled out a win in a tough first set with a 7-6 (13) score and Unger finished Lucas Fumgalli off in the second set 6-3.
Big Sky Player of the Week Alexandre Locci clinched the win for the Lumberjacks at the No. 2 position over Andy Jackson. It took three sets for Locci to get the win but the native of France was able to get it done. Locci won the first set 7-5 but dropped the second set 7-6 to Jackson. Locci would take the third set 6-3 to seal the win for the Lumberjacks and give Kroll and his squad their fourth straight win.
"We need to build on this big win," said Kroll. "Hopefully we can carry it into tomorrow's match against UNLV."
Tomorrow's match with UNLV will begin at 11:00 a.m. in Las Vegas.
- Jack McCullers/Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Kester Black/Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 8-1
- Andy Jackson/Andrew parks (AF) def. Jordan Gobatie/Alexandre Locci (NAU) 8-0
- Lucas Fumagalli/Grant Taylor (AF) & Trevor Unger/Sarp Laleli (NAU) 6-2 DNF
- Steven Young (AF) def. Jordan Gobatie (NAU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-4
- Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Andy Jackson (AF) 7-5, 6-7, 6-3
- Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) def. Jack McCullers (AF) 6-2, 6-2
- Kester Black (NAU) def. Alex Grubbs (AF) 6-1, 7-6
- Trevor Unger (NAU) def. Lucas Fumagalli (AF) 7-6, 6-3
- Andrew Parks (AF) def. Blaine Mengert (NAU) 6-1, 6-4