Lumberjacks Dominate Northern Colorado in 6-1 Win
SEDONA, Ariz. – The Lumberjacks have been playing stellar tennis in Sedona this past week and it continued today as the Northern Arizona men's tennis team was able to defeat Northern Colorado 6-1 for its third straight win in the Big Sky.
"I am very happy about our win against a strong conference opponent," said head coach Ki Kroll. "Northern Colorado came out hungry in doubles, clinching the point but we quickly regrouped for singles play and everybody was determined to pull out the victory."
For the first time in two matches, Northern Arizona dropped the doubles point losing two of three matches. The Lumberjacks lone win came from Jordan Gobatie and Alexandre Locci at the No. 2 position. Gobatie and Locci were dominate in their match against Mitchel Knight and Jacob Sheldon and did not allow Northern Colorado to win a single game as the NAU won 8-0.
This was the best singles match Northern Arizona has played all season as every Lumberjack won their match in singles play. Big Sky player of the week, Locci, continued his winning ways as the native of France was able to defeat Knight 6-4, 6-2 for his fourth straight win in singles play.
Gobatie had a tough third-set match at the No. 1 slot against Ben Gendron. Gobatie took the first set 6-4 but Gendron forced a third set after he won 6-4 but Gobatie came through in the third set to win 6-3.
Kester Black won his third straight match in singles with a victory over Eric Schuermans at the No. 4 position. Black dominated his match with the 6-2, 6-3 win over Schuermans.
"Before you knew it, we had won six singles matches," said Kroll. "I am very proud of my guys and their effort they displayed today."
The Lumberjacks are now riding a three-match winning streak and will look to continue that streak on Friday against a tough opponent in Air Force. Play will begin at 1 p.m. in Las Vegas.
- Ben Gendron/Michael Moya (UNC) def. Kester Black/Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 8-2
- Jordan Gobatie/Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Mitchel Knight/Jacob Sheldon (UNC) 8-0
- Jordan Loughnan/Jeff Carlson (UNC) def. Trevor Unger/Sarp Laleli (NAU) 8-1
- Jordan Gobatie (NAU) def. Ben Gendron (UNC) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
- Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Mitchel Knight (UNC) 6-4, 6-2
- Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) def. Austin Mayo (UNC) 6-3, 6-2
- Kester Black (NAU) def. Eric Schuermans (UNC) 6-2, 6-3
- Trevor Unger (NAU) def. Jordan Loughnan (UNC) 6-2, 6-3
- Blaine Mengert (NAU) def. Michael Moya (UNC) 6-2, 5-7, 10-6