Locci Picks Up Win In Loss to Weber State
OGDEN, Utah – The Northern Arizona men's tennis squad wrapped up its first Big Sky road trip of the season in Ogden to face Weber State who went into the season picked to finish fourth in the Big Sky Conference. The Wildcats were able to sweep all three doubles matches and Weber State cruised to a 6-1 victory over the Lumberjacks.
"We came out stronger today against a very good Weber State team," said head coach Ki Kroll. "Unfortunately we did not get the job done. As a team we have to continue working hard to try and turn this thing around."
Northern Arizona's match against Weber State started out with the Wildcats winning up all three doubles matches to pick up the doubles point. NAU's Fabio Tomasetti and Kester Black nearly pulled off the upset as the No. 1 team in doubles against Sanjay Goswami and Oliver Good but fell short as Goswami and Good got the 8-7 (5) win.
At the No. 2 position in singles play, Alexandre Locci was able to come away with a win over Todd Fought. After dropping the first set to Fought 6-3, Locci stormed back and took the second and third sets with both sets resulting in a 6-4 score for the win. Unfortunately for the Lumberjacks, that was the lone win in singles play for Northern Arizona.
"Alex Locci played a great match," said Kroll. "He fought hard to pull out our only win and I was very proud of how hard he worked."
In his second straight start at the No. 6 position for the Lumberjacks, Blaine Mengert almost got his second win of the season when he took Goswami to three sets. Mengert took the first set over Goswami 6-3, but Goswami rallied to take the last two sets 6-4, 10-5.
The Lumberjacks will now take a week off from play before they are back in action on Mar. 13 and 15 for the team's first home matches of the season against Montana State and North Dakota.
- Sanjay Goswami/Oliver Good (WSU) def. Fabio Tomasetti/Kester Black (NAU) 8-7 (5-0)
- Todd Fought/Jakub Gewert (WSU) def. Trevor Unger/Alexandre Locci (NAU) 8-5
- Landon Barlow/Caio Poitena (WSU) def. Blaine Mengert/Jordan Gobatie (NAU) 8-3
- Jakub Gewert (WSU) def. Jordan Gobatie (NAU) 6-1, 6-0
- Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Todd Fought (WSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Oliver Good (WSU) def. Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 6-3, 6-4
- Caio Poitena (WSU) def. Kester Black (NAU) 7-6 (7-0), 6-2
- Landon Barlow (WSU) def. Alan Barrios (NAU) 6-1, 6-4
- Sanjay Goswami (WSU) def. Blaine Mengert (NAU) 3-6, 6-4, 10-5