LMU Ends Lumberjacks Winning Streak in Los Angeles
LOS ANGELES, Calif. – The Northern Arizona men's tennis team traveled to Los Angeles to face Loyola Marymount and the Lions ended the Lumberjacks two-match winning streak with a 7-0 win over NAU.
"It was a tough day for us in Los Angeles today," said head coach Ki Kroll. "I thought we competed well but we played a very good team today in Loyola."
The match started out with Loyola Marymount taking the doubles point with wins from the No. 1 and No. 2 teams with both scores resulting in an 8-2 win for the Lions.
Alexandre Locci was able to compete very well at the No. 2 position in singles play against Felix Van Kann but eventually dropped his match to Van Kann 6-4, 7-5. Loyola was dominating in its performance against NAU as all singles matches only went to two sets. Trevor Unger was able to force a tiebreaker in his first set against Cristobal Rivera that went 7-5 in favor of Rivera and would eventually win the second set by a score of 6-2.
"We had a difficult time today but LMU is a really good team," said Locci. "Everyone needs to put a little more focus for our first conference match next week."
This was Loyola Marymount's second win this season over a Big Sky team as the Lions first win was against the defending Big Sky Champions, Sacramento State.
After facing a tough opponent in Loyola Marymount, the Lumberjacks will now set their eyes toward Big Sky play as they will head out on their first Big Sky matches against Idaho State and Weber State.
"With conference matches next week, we should be able to learn from this loss and move forward," said Kroll.
Northern Arizona will begin its first Big Sky road trip against Idaho State on Saturday, Mar. 1 at 10 a.m. in Pocatello.
- Todd Volmari/Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) def. Jordan Gobatie/Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 8-2
- Cristobal Rivera/Felix Van Kann (LMU) def. Trevor Unger/Kester Black (NAU) 8-2
- David Doehrin/Luke Bohuslav (LMU) vs. Alexandre Locci/Alan Barrios (NAU) 4-5 (Unfinished)
Order of Finish: 1,2
- David Doehring (LMU) def. Jordan Gobatie (NAU) 6-4, 6-2
- Felix Van Kann (LMU) def. Alexandre Locci (NAU) 6-4, 7-5
- Todd Volmari (LMU) def. Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 6-2, 6-3
- Cristobal Rivera (LMU) def. Trevor Unger (NAU) 7-5, 6-2
- Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) def. Kester Black (NAU) 6-3, 6-3
- Luke Bohuslav (LMU) def. Alan Barrios (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 5, 6, 2, 1