TUCSON, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona men's tennis team faced the University of Arizona in their first match of the season and came away with 7-0 loss at the hands of the Wildcats. In singles play, the junior transfer Jordan Gobatie and junior Alan Barrios were able to pick up set wins in singles play.
"I am really proud of how well our team competed today," said head coach Ki Kroll. "We played a tough team in the University of Arizona and even though the overall score doesn't show the results we wanted, our individual scores were very competitive."
Gobatie played at No. 1 for the Lumberjacks in his first match wearing the blue and gold and won his first set 6-4 against Fredrik Ask. Ask took the second set from Gobatie and lost the tiebreaker at 12-10.
Barrios faced UofA's Will Kneade and showed some resilience in his first match of the season. After losing the first set 6-2 against Kneade, Barrios bounced back to take the second set 6-4 but lost the tie breaker 10-7.
The entire Lumberjacks team competed very well against a tough opponent as six sets were at least 6-4.
The Lumberjacks will stay in Tucson and face UC Riverside at UofA's Lanelle Robson Tennis Center tomorrow with matches beginning at 12:30 p.m.
"Tomorrow we are going to find out how much we learned from today's match," said Kroll. "If we can improve upon a few things tomorrow then I feel we will have a good showing."
- Fredrik Ask (UofA) def. Jordan Gobatie (NAU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (12-10)
- Sumeet Shinde (UofA) def. Alexandre Locci (NAU) 6-3, 6-2
- Kieren Thompson (UofA) def. Trevor Unger (NAU) 6-2, 6-0
- Naoki Takeda (UofA) def. Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 6-3, 6-3
- Mario Urquidi (UofA) def. Kester Black (NAU) 6-3, 6-4
- Will Kneade (UofA) def. Alan Barrios (NAU) 3-6, 6-5 (5), 1-0 (10-8)
Order of finish: 3, 2, 4, 5, 1, 6
- Fredrik Ask/Kieren Thompson (UofA) def. Trevor Unger/Jordan Gobatie (NAU) 6-4
- Sumeet Shinde/Naoki Takeda (UofA) def. Fabio Tomasetti/Kester Black (NAU) 6-3
- Mario Urquidi/Matt Dunn (UofA) vs. Alan Barrios/Alexandre Locci (NAU) 5-3 (DNF)
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3