SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Sophomores Kester Black and Trevor Unger recorded convincing singles wins for the Northern Arizona men's tennis team in the Lumberjacks' 5-2 loss to Santa Clara on Sunday to conclude their weekend. The loss was NAU's eighth straight as it enters its off-week from competition at 2-12.
The Broncos won the doubles point behind wins at No. 1 and 3. John Lamble and Tom Pham shut out Black and senior Shaun Waters at No. 1 doubles, 8-0, and Logan Chun and Tomasz Soltyka handed senior Robert Martin and Unger an 8-4 loss. At No. 2 doubles, senior Patrick Schimmelbauer and junior Dominic Bermudez were locked in a tight battle when Santa Clara clinched the doubles point. The Lumberjack duo was down just 6-5 to Ashot Khacharyan and Ilya Osintsev at the conclusion of doubles play.
In singles play, Black and Unger earned wins at the No. 5 and 6 positions, but it was not enough as the Broncos won the remaining four singles matches led by Lamble, the No. 66 ranked player in the country at the No. 1 spot. Black picked up his fifth victory of the season to tie Martin for the team-lead with his 6-1, 6-2 defeat of Vince Menon. Unger, playing in his first singles match of the spring, notched his first win of his sophomore campaign in dominant fashion without dropping a set in his 6-0, 6-0 win over Chun.
The Lumberjacks will have the next weekend off and will return to action with their first-ever matches at St. Cloud State and North Dakota on March 22 and 23.
1. John Lamble/Tom Pham (SCU) def. Kester Black/Shaun Waters (NAU), 8-0
2. Ashot Khacharyan/Ilya Osintsev (SCU) vs. Dominic Bermudez/Patrick Schimmelbauer (NAU), unfinished (SCU leading 6-5)
3. Logan Chun/Tomasz Soltyka (SCU) def. Robert Martin/Trevor Unger (NAU), 8-4
Order of Finish: N/A
1. No. 66 Lamble (SCU) def. Waters (NAU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Khacharyan (SCU) def. Schimmelbauer (NAU), 6-0, 6-4
3. Pham (SCU) def. Bermudez (NAU), 7-6, 6-2
4. Soltyka (SCU) def. Martin (NAU), 6-3, 6-4
5. Black (NAU) def. Vince Menon (SCU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Unger (NAU) def. Chun (SCU), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: N/A