Men's Tennis Suffers Season Opening Loss to No. 55 Arizona
TUCSON, Ariz. – Sophomore Dominic Bermudez got the best of his brother, Carlos Bermudez, at the No. 3 doubles, but Carlos' No. 55 Arizona squad was the team that won its season opener on Saturday, 7-0 at the Tucson Country Club. Dominic Bermudez and junior Robert Martin defeated Carlos Bermudez and Mario Urquidi, 8-6, but the Northern Arizona men's tennis team would struggle the rest of the day, failing to record another victory in its season opening loss.
"Arizona is a ranked team so we expected a tough match," said men's assistant coach Joseph Heckley. "I thought we went out there and competed hard and that's what we asked them to do. There's stuff we did well and also stuff we can improve on. We'll take what we need to improve on from this match and do it right the next match."
The Wildcats took the first two doubles matches of the day prior to the Lumberjack victory at No. 3 to claim the doubles point. Senior Robin Pezzutto and junior Shaun Waters fell at No. 1, 8-3, to Arizona's Giocomo Miccini and Sumeet Shinde, followed by senior Ben Lantz and junior Patrick Schimmelbauer losing at No. 2 by the same score at the hands of Kieren Thompson and Andre Vidaller.
Arizona would proceed to win the first two singles matches at No. 1 and 5 before clinching the match when Shinde defeated Waters at No. 4, 6-3, 6-1.The Lumberjacks were swept in five of the six singles matches in straight sets, except for Dominic Bermudez at No. 3. Bermudez responded in the second set after dropping the first to Vidaller, only to fall in the third set, 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7).
Saturday's match marked the first for Martin and Waters in their NAU careers and also a homecoming for Dominic Bermudez, a Tucson native.
The Lumberjacks will return to the court next weekend with two matches in Riverside, Calif. They'll play a neutral site match against Vanguard on Saturday before taking on the host school UC Riverside on Sunday.
1. Giocomo Miccini/Sumeet Shinde (UA) def. Robin Pezzutto/Shaun Waters (NAU), 8-3*
2. Kieren Thompson/Andre Vidaller (UA) def. Ben Lantz/Patrick Schimmelbauer (NAU), 8-3
3. Dominic Bermudez/Robert Martin (NAU) def. Carlos Bermudez/Mario Urquidi (UA), 8-6
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (2, 1, 3)
1. Miccini (UA) def. Pezzutto (NAU), 6-2, 6-1
2. C. Bermudez (UA) def. Schimmelbauer (NAU), 7-5, 6-2
3. Vidaller (UA) def. D. Bermudez (NAU), 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Shinde (UA) def. Waters (NAU), 6-3, 6-1**
5. Urquidi (UA) def. Martin (NAU), 6-2, 7-5
6. Thompson (UA) def. Lantz (NAU), 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: (1, 5, 4, 2, 3, 6)