FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – No. 9 seed Northern Arizona is set to face No. 8 seed Portland State on Tuesday, Mar. 7 in the first round of the Big Sky Tournament. The game will tip-off the men's side of the tournament at 2:35 p.m. PT/3:35 p.m. MST at the Reno Events Center.
The game can be heard in Flagstaff (Hits 106.1 FM), Phoenix (MoneyRadio 1510 AM & 105.3 FM), Prescott Area (97.9 FM Eagle Rocks), Window Rock/Ft. Defiance, Ariz. & Gallup, N.M. (KHAC 880 AM) with Mitch Strohman and Dave Brown on the call. Fans can also tune in online at hits106.gcmaz.com.
All information relating to the Big Sky Tournament including hotels and tickets can be found at www.RoadToReno.com.
• Northern Arizona finished the regular season with a 9-22 overall record and 6-12 mark in Big Sky play to finish in 10th place.
• The No. 9 seeded Lumberjacks match up against No. 8 Portland State for the first round of the Big Sky Tournament. Both teams won on their home court to split the season series.
• The Lumberjacks are 2-1 all-time versus Portland State in the tournament. The two teams last drew each other in 2008.
• When NAU played the Vikings at home on Jan. 16, Mike Green led the Lumberjacks with 26 points and nine rebounds in the win over Portland State. In the game at Portland on Mar. 25, Jordyn Martin and JoJo Anderson both had 13 points, while the Vikings had four players finish in double figures to grab the 84-72 win.
• The winner of NAU/Portland State will play No. 1 North Dakota on Thursday at 12:05 p.m. PT/1:05 p.m. MST in the second round.
• NAU has never played UND in the tourney.
Scouting Portland State
• NAU and Portland State last faced each other in 2008 in the championship game with the Vikings winning 67-51. Both teams split the regular season series, each winning on their home court.
• Portland State enters the tournament on a two-game losing streak, as it has dropped five of its last seven games. De'Sean Parsons leads the Vikings with 14.7 points and 6.4 boards per game. Parsons led the Vikings in scoring both times against NAU with 19 and 16 points, respectively.
• The Lumberjacks are 15-22 all-time in the Big Sky Tournament. The last time NAU advanced past the first round was in 2015 when it topped Northern Colorado 63-57, before falling to Montana 61-59 in the second round.