FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. - The Northern Arizona men's basketball team will host Benedictine Mesa on Thursday on the Navajo Nation of Tuba City. The game which will be played at Tuba City High School has a tip-off time of 6:30 p.m.
Fans can purchase a single game ticket for $5 or for $35 fans will receive a ticket and transportation to the game. This is the second straight year that the Lumberjacks will play a game on the Navajo Nation.
Tickets are available for purchase online at https://foundation.nau.edu/eventregistration.aspx?evt=216. Gameday walk-up tickets will be on sale at the arena.
Thursday's game can be heard in Flagstaff (Hits 106.1 FM), Phoenix (MoneyRadio 1510 AM & 99.3 FM), Prescott Area (97.9 FM Eagle Rocks), Window Rock/Ft. Defiance, Ariz. & Gallup, N.M. (KHAC 880 AM). Fans can also tune in online at hits106.gcmaz.com. The game can be watched online at WatchBigSky.com.
• NAU looks to capture its first win of the season this Thursday against Benedictine Mesa. The Lumberjacks dropped all three games of the Cable Car Classic hosted by Santa Clara last weekend.
• Through a trio of games, senior guard Jaleni Neely, has been the leader of the NAU offense making shots from the floor and the free throw line. He's shooting 41 percent from the field and 90 percent from the charity stripe. Mix in with that 11 assists and 14 rebounds, and he is on his way to an all-around season for his senior year. His 19.0 points per game have him ranked tied for seventh in the Big Sky.
• NAU has been able to stay in the rebound game with its opponents in 2016. The Lumberjacks are being slighly out-rebounded 115-112, but senior forwards Jordyn Martin (29) and Ako Kaluna (20) are making it hard for defenders to get under the basket. Martin ranks fifth in the Big Sky, while Kaluna sits in 15th in rebounding. Kaluna leads the league in offensive boards (4.0) and Martin is third in defensive rebounds (7.0).
Scouting Benedictine Mesa
• Thursday is the first meeting between NAU and Benedictine Mesa. The Redhawks are 3-3 (through games before Nov. 14). Benedictine Mesa began the season 2-0 with wins over Life Pacific (W, 97-87) and West Coast Baptist College (W, 78-65). Benedictine Mesa will play Arizona Christian on Tuesday night before facing NAU later in the week.
• BenU at Mesa's top scoring threat is Jorge Cano. He's a sophomore forward from Maryvale High School in Phoenix where he was an All-State Honorable Mention candidate. Last season, he averaged 9.4 points per game in 21 appearances.