NAU Set to Host Montana State and Montana in Key Big Sky Games
Where: vs. Montana State (14-15, 9-9 Big Sky)
Flagstaff, Ariz. • Walkup Skydome
When: March 6 at 6:30 p.m.
All-Time Series: NAU leads 47-45
Where: vs. Montana (16-11, 11-7 Big Sky)
Flagstaff, Ariz. • Walkup Skydome
When: March 8 at 3 p.m. (SENIOR DAY)
All-Time Series: UM leads 61-32
Radio: KBTK 105.1 FM
Money Radio 1510 AM & 99.3 FM
Sodexo Lumberjack Radio Network
Play-by-play - Mitch Strohman
Analyst - Dave Brown
Sideline – Kara Hammer
Audio Stream: www.BigTalkerRadio.com
Video Stream: www.NAU-TV.com and www.WatchBigSky.com
Live Stats: www.NAUAthletics.com
TV: (MSU) - FOX Sports AZ - Tape Delay 3/7; (UM) - FOX Sports AZ Plus
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – Northern Arizona (13-16, 10-8 Big Sky) men's basketball has a tough slate ahead as they host Montana State and Montana in the final regular season games of the season. The Lumberjacks will play the Bobcats (14-15, 9-9 Big Sky) on Thursday, March 6. Tip-off is slated for 6:30 p.m. Saturday, March 8, the Lumberjacks will face Montana (16-11, 11-7 Big Sky) for Bold and Gold Senior Day.
The Lumberjacks are on a two-game win streak after becoming the first Big Sky this season to defeat Idaho State and Weber State on the road in the same week. Northern Arizona is 5-3 at home in Big Sky play, as it is in search of a season sweep of Montana and payback against Montana State for a last second loss in Bozeman.
Northern Arizona is in a two-way tie for fourth place in the conference, as it looks to earn its second straight trip to the conference tournament under head coach Jack Murphy. Reigning Big Sky Player of the Week Quinton Upshur leads NAU in scoring with 16.3 points per game. Senior forward Max Jacobsen (12.1 ppg) and junior guard Aaseem Dixon (11.0 ppg) round out the top three scorers.
Breaking Down Montana State
Flashback – Montana State beat NAU at the buzzer last time out with a layup by Michael Dison. Davis led the Bobcats with 19 points, while Dison added 18. Aaseem Dixon led NAU with 18 points in Bozeman. Gaellan Bewernick scored 15, while Quinton Upshur chipped in 11. The Bobcats are 3-4 on the road in Big Sky games this season. Flavien Davis leads the Bobcats with 14.2 points per game in conference play. The Lumberjacks are 31-13 versus MSU in Flagstaff. NAU defeated the Bobcats last season at home with an 87-80 victory.
Breaking Down Montana
Flashback - The Northern Arizona men's basketball team did what no other Big Sky Conference team had done in 31 games, and that's beat the Montana Grizzlies at home. The Lumberjacks defeated the Grizzlies 73-65 in their conference opener at Dahlberg Arena on Jan. 2. Aaseem Dixon scored 23 points, Max Jacobsen had 21 and Quinton Upshur added 18. Kareem Jamar had 21 points for Montana in the loss. NAU is 25-19 against Montana in Flagstaff. The Jacks last defeated the Griz at home on Feb. 5, 2011.
Live video of the games can be found at www.NAU-TV.com and www.WatchBigSky.com. Don't forget to download the free Watch Big Sky app on your phone. Fans can listen to the game on KBTK 105.1 FM, MoneyRadio 1510 AM and 99.3 FM or online at www.BigTalkerRadio.com.
Thursday - $1 concession stand night…First 300 students get FREE food…Family Appreciation Night (Groups of 4 or more can purchase $5 tickets)
Saturday – First 300 students get FREE food…First 1,500 fans get FREE gold shirts.
• The Jacks are in a two-way tie for fourth in the Big Sky with two games left.
• NAU's win over Portland State on Jan. 18 marked the first time NAU began Big Sky play 5-1 since the 2007-08 season.
• NAU stunned reigning Big Sky Champion Montana on Jan. 2 to hand the Grizzlies their first conference loss in Dahlberg Arena in 31 games. The win was NAU's third straight Big Sky opening win.
• NAU snapped another Big Sky home game win streak on March 1, but this time it was Weber State. The Jacks ended a 27-game run for the Wildcats.
• Quinton Upshur leads NAU with 16.3 points per game. Upshur and freshman Kris Yanku are the only two NAU players to cross the 30-point threshold this season.
• Five Lumberjacks have scored 20 or more points in a single game this season.
• The Lumberjacks were picked to finish seventh in the Big Sky Conference by the media and ninth by the league coaches.
Follow us on Twitter @NAUBasketball