• Enters his third season as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach after joining the Northern Arizona University staff in March of 2012.
• In 2013, the passing unit connected on 235 out of 387 passes for a 60.7 completion percentage. NAU totaled 2,425 passing yards, in addition to 14 thrown touchdowns.
• In his first season, Scangarello helped mentor Cary Grossart who went on to finish his career with the top completion percentage in NAU history at 66.3. He also posted the second-best completion percentage in a season with 66.7. Overall, the Lumberjacks finished tied for 27th in the nation in scoring offense with an average of 31.6 points per game.
• Scangarello served as the co-offensive coordinator at UC Davis for the 2008 season, leading an offense that ranked 11th in the Football Championship Subdivision in total offense at 426.5 yards per game, while scoring 28.5 points per game. He originally joined the Davis staff in 2005 as passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach, serving in that role from 2005-2007.
• In 2005, he coached the most prolific wide receiver in UC Davis history in All-American Tony Kays, who led the NCAA in receptions with 93 while setting school marks for receptions and yards.
• Scangarello was on the Oakland Raiders staff as the assistant quarterbacks coach and offensive quality control assistant for the 2009 season. He also served as the offensive coordinator, assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach at Millsaps College in Jackson, Miss. At Millsaps, he coached quarterback Garrett Pinciotti to All-SCAC second team honors after throwing for 2,200 yards and 23 touchdowns.
• Served on the Idaho staff in 2000 as offensive graduate assistant and 2002-03 as quarterbacks coach, coaching former NAU assistant Brian Lindgren during his collegiate career. Lindgren ranked among the top 20 passers in Division I in both 2002 and 2003 under his guidance.
• Began his coaching career in the UC Davis program in 1998 and 1999, working with two eventual NFL draft picks and consecutive consensus Division II All-Americans Kevin Daft and J.T. O’Sullivan.
• The Roseville, Calif. native is a
graduate of Oakmont High School. He graduated from Sacramento State
in 1996 with a degree in business administration.
Richard Scangarello, Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Born: April 15, 1972.
College: Sacramento State, 1996.
Recruiting Areas: East Valley HS (AZ), Northern California/Sacramento HS (CA)
Scangarello’s Coaching Chronology
||University of California Davis, Offensive Assistant/Quarterbacks Coach|
|2000||University of Idaho, Offensive Graduate Assistant/Quarterbacks Coach|
||Carlton College, Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach|
|2002-03||University of Idaho, Offensive Assistant/Quarterbacks Coach|
|2004-07||University of California Davis, Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers Coach|
|2008||University of California Davis, Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers Coach|
|2009||Oakland Raiders, Offensive Quality Control/Assistant Quarterback Coach|
|2010-11||Millsaps College, Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks|
|2012||Northern Arizona University, Offensive Coordinator/Quarterback|